All Hallows' Eve

Sofia was buzzing with excitement. As a child, her mum would always dress her up in silly costumes during Halloween, which in turn became her favourite holiday. It was a bittersweet memory as deep inside her heart, Sofia always knew why her mother preferred Halloween to other holidays. Every Halloween her mum watched Sofie devour endless amounts of candy. To the naked eye, this might seem like a simple thing which many overlook. However, Sofia had always known that her family consistently struggled with finances, even, therefore trick to treating was a rare treat for her as she almost never got the luxury to eat candy throughout the year, even during Christmas. 

"What am I going to wear Jamie?!"

"I know! This is ridiculous, they could have given us an earlier warning so we could at least get our parents to send us some costumes!" Sofia laughed as she heard some girls gossip towards the end of class. 

"Ms Greene!?" Sofia's head turned. 

"Yes, Ms Taylor?" 

"Who will you be dressing up as tonight?" Sofia's smile quickly faded as she noticed Severus' judgmental look. He glared at both Sofia and Jamie in disbelief.

"I hardly doubt the Professors will be dressing up Ms-'

"A witch!" Sofia politely Intervened.

"Oh wow. But Ms Greene... you're... already a witch...?" Jamie looked confused. 

"I will be dressing up as the muggles portray us, Ms Taylor. It was my favourite costume when I was a little girl." Sofia shot Severus a warning look as if reminding him not to crush the 1st year's excitement. She watched as Severus raised his eyebrows, a small smirk playing on his lips. Before she could enjoy that rare moment a little while longer, his face faded back to his usual cold expression. 

"Remember to read the last 2 chapters. And do not be late tomorrow morning." Severus announced as he swept by Sofia exiting the classroom. 

"Alright everyone gather round!" Minerva exclaimed. The young students crowded her in the courtyard. 

"All of you quickly! Get into groups of 5 or 6 and find a professor!" Sofia had stood next to Minerva. She was excited to get out of the castle even if it meant having to chaperone a few students. Soon enough, a mix of some Gryffindor and Ravenclaw girls came up to her. 

"Could we go with you Ms Greene?" 

"Of course!" Sofia smiled at the girls. She leaned in closer to Minerva. "Minerva, I can handle a few more students if you'd like...it doesn't seem like there will be enough teachers for this afternoon," Sofia whispered 

"That might be best Sofie...' Minerva replied whilst frantically counting the professors around the courtyard.  

"Girls is there anyone else you'd like to bring with you?" Without a doubt, the girls quickly gathered four more of their friends. After waving goodbye to Minerva, Sofia headed down to Hogsmeade. 

Sofia already had her costume planned out. She had all that she needed back in her quarters, therefore she didn't have to desperately panic like her students, rushing from store to store. "Slow down girls!" she huffed as she picked up the front of her cloak with her hands, catching up with them. She watched as a few of the girls purchased black parchment to hand-make some cat ears, whilst the others grabbed endless amounts of glitter. Soon enough the girls were all satisfied and made their way back to the castle grounds. 

Sofia quickly showered. She only had an hour before she had to head down to the great hall for the Halloween feast and dance. Drying her hair with a quick swish of her wand she gently curled it. Being a teacher at Hogwarts she had forgotten what it was like to dress up for an evening. She hadn't had a date in over a year. As she continued to put on some makeup she remembered what it was like getting ready for the annual Yule Ball when she was merely 17 years old. Smiling at the memory she put on some black lipstick to match her costume. Sofia faced her mirror in a  floor-length silk black dress, with some black lace gloves ending right above her elbows. She completed her traditional witch look with a pointy hat. Stealing one last glance of herself she chucked as she thought that green hair would really fit her look right about now.  She suddenly realized that she didn't have a place to hold her wand. With some quick thinking, she conjured a small black lace garter on her thigh. Pulling the dress to her side, revealing a slit which stopped around mid-thigh, she tucked her wand into the garter making sure it stayed put for the rest of the evening.