Firewhiskey

Severus' head was pounding. He never got a chance to rest after Dumbledore sent him on another mission last week. Even though Voldemort was now gone, there were still things left unfinished. Severus shut his eyes attempting to force Lily out of his mind. His brain was cluttered with neverending thoughts: Albus' insane plans, the ties which Sofia had to them, and to top it all off the memories of Lily. Severus' eyes clouded with pain and anger. He knew there was only one way he could rest his mind, so without a single doubt, he quickly apparated into Hogsmeade.

After buying two bottles of firewhiskey, Severus made his way back to the school grounds. He preferred to walk back as he had hoped the October chill would clear his head. Meanwhile, Sofia was humming to a song in her room, reading over tomorrows core-lesson, dreading the morning, as she would be forced to teach by Severus' side again.

Reaching his quarters, Severus unlocked the door and before sitting down he placed one of the bottles on his office table, opening the second. Kicking off his shoes, removing his frock, he slouched on top of the closest armchair. Dark eyes facing a raging fire, he continued to think about Lily. He took another swig placing his free hand on his forehead. Soon the bottle was half empty and with that, his thoughts slowly started to fade as did the pain, until his mind wandered back to Sofia. Severus felt a wave of guilt as he remembered his outburst once more. It didn't help that he knew what Albus had in store for her. He struggled to understand why she was on his mind or why he was concerned. He didn't worry for long as when his lips touched the bottle again, he felt his thoughts dissolve, the fire being the only thing in the room that kept him warm.

The morning was a rough one for Sofia. She overstepped her usual bright and early wake-up and couldn't quite get her hair to stay put. She cursed at her hairbrush leaving her hair down rushing down for breakfast. Making sure to greet some students, Minerva and Hagrid as she passed by them grabbing a few pastries. Luckily she still had a few minutes before class, which she used to finish her cup of coffee overlooking the courtyard through her windows. She had a feeling of unease inside her which she chose to simply ignore. By the time she had made it to the potions classroom, the students just started pouring in. She greeted every single one of them patiently waiting for Severus. After the students had settled in she leaned her hips on the teacher's desk waiting. The students seemed calmer when Severus wasn't around, more at peace.

"Ms Greene?"

"Yes, Ms... Riley, I believe?" A 6th-year girl, who she had never spoke to before. Her robes were blue therefore she put the two and two together figuring she must be a Ravenclaw.

The girl put her arm down "How come you're teaching potions now?"

"Professor Snape frequently has to fill in for Professor Dumbledore as he has officially been appointed acting headmaster, therefore I'm currently picking up his classes to give him some space to breathe." She smiled.

"Does this mean that we'll be seeing you more often then?" She continued.

"I'm afraid so Ms Riley." Sofia smiled.

"Wicked!" the girl chuckled. A few other students also seemed pleased at the thought. After answering some more questions Sofia became increasingly aware that Severus was now quite late. It was 10 past 9 there was no sign of him. After a few of the students quizzed her about why Severus was not there, she became worried, mostly since this was a core 6th-year class. She allowed the students to chat for a few more minutes before realizing she had to go figure out what was happening.

"Alright settle down now." the students stilled.

"For now, please turn to page 271, and please read until page 278, I will be right back to direct you further!" Sofia firmly pushed herself off the desk and quickly marched out of the classroom. Her first thought was to go ask Minerva or Albus if they had seen him, but somehow she felt that in the long term that would make Severus even more annoyed at her than before. Remembering that his quarters were right down the hall past the Slytherin common room, she rushed towards them worried that the students might cause havoc the longer she's gone. After reaching his door she hesitantly raised her hand. After knocking three times, she waited.