028

Narrative

The rest of the holidays passed by quickly, ending it with a bang on New Year's Eve

Isla woke up on January 1st alone in bed and with a massive headache.
She rubbed her eyes softly before scanning the room for her lover, but he was nowhere to be found.

She decided on just staying in bed, snuggling into the soft sheets once again.
The girl picked up her phone, seeing a few texts from Mattia.

'Had to go to Kairis xx'
'I'll be back soon'

The girl read them, a confused expression on her face. Why the hell did he have to go to Kairis on New Year's Day, and may I add, in the morning?

Isla shrugged it off before skimming through her snap story from yesterday.
She didn't remember anything, but watching the snaps made her realise that the start of 2020 had been crazy.

The Brit went to the bathroom, almost shocked at her own reflection. She hopped directly into the shower, trying to scrub of the shadows of yesterday.

As the water ran down her skin she didn't even noticed that the bathroom door had opened and Mattia had walked in.

"I'm back" He announced as he stood fixing his messed up hair in the mirror.
Isla jumped at the sound of his voice, she hadn't heard him coming.

"Hey" she said as she washed the last bit of conditioner out of her hair. "Was it nice at Kairis?"

He took a long moment before answering, still looking at him self in the mirror. "Yeah" He once again started fixing his hair. "Yeah, it was great at Kairis"

Isla furrowed her brows at the weird atmosphere. She couldn't quite figure out what it was, but surely something seemed off.

"Mattia?" She asked as peeped her head out of the shower. "Is everything alright?"

He didn't bother to look at her, but quickly excited the bathroom with a short "yes"
Isla tried letting it go, but as soon as she walked out of the bathroom too the weird tension once again occurred.

Over the next few days Mattia grew more and more distant, not only from Isla but from the rest of the group too.
Every time they would hang out, he would sit in the corner, smiling at his phone like some idiot.

When it were only Isla and Mattia they would sit on each of their own beds and not talk to each other, something Isla found very weird.
They would still share their moments; cuddling, kisses that became more sloppy with each day and in the nights they would still have sex. Not for the pleasure though, more just to get it done.

"What time do you get home?" Isla asked from her own bed, watching the Italian pack his suitcase.

"I don't know" he threw a few hoodies in carelessly. "Around 5 or 6 on Sunday"

Isla didn't say anything, but just observed every move he did. His body was tense and an annoyed expression on his face.

"Did I do something?"

"What?" His head shot up, looking her in the eyes for the first time that day.

"Did I do something wrong?" Islas softly asked once again. "It's just... we haven't really talked much lately"

Mattias heart broke at seeing the hurt expression on the girls face. "No.. You haven't done anything wrong"
He walked with steady steps towards her, pulling her into a hug.

"It's just" he started, but on the inside he had no good excuse of how he had been. "I've been busy lately, with preparing for social bash and everything"

A tear rolled down Islas cheek as she nodded understandingly. The two teens held on to each other for a long time, none of them could remember the last time they had shared such an emotional moment.

The past few weeks had teared Isla apart. All she wanted to do was love the boy sitting in front of her, but he kept pushing her away.

"I have to go" Mattia whispered as he let go of the girl. She nodded once again before he picked up the suitcase and walked upstairs.
He hated leaving her like that.
He hated himself at that moment, knowing what he had did to her.

But he couldn't stop.
Mattia Polibio was an emotional wreck and at this moment he was screwing up everything in the relationship he had with Isla.
But nonetheless he left for Chicago, knowing he would screw even more up.

Mary's thoughts:
I think
you know
where this
about to go