Epsiode 48

Turmoil and cracks raced through his mind.

What's going on?

A crack flashed through his system.

Am I?

Errors flashed through him.

Dying?

Zane jerked awake, and faces of concern greeted him.

"You're okay!" P.I.X.A.L. shouted. Zane hit the pillow.

"What happened?" Zane moaned. He tried moving up from his pillow, but exhaustion creeped up his body. Zane anchored his head to the left, and looked over to find five worried ninja.

"You had collapsed on the floor after you healed Cole." P.I.X.A.L. replied, checking the monitor.

"I feel tired." Zane said. He could barely move any of his limbs and Jay ushered him down.

"Hang on Zane. Your power supply is really low."

What just happened? Zane thought. A shudder coursed through his body, and Zane hit the back of the bed.

"Zane!" P.I.X.A.L. reached her hand out to support him, and Zane clasped it.

"I'm fine." Zane assured her. P.I.X.A.L. glanced at him with worried eyes.

"It'll take a while for you to get back on your feet." P.I.X.A.L. said. "So please don't move."

Zane looked at the others in the room, and Zane smiled. The others gave him a happy smile.

"I'm glad you're feeling okay." Zane said to Cole. Cole flexed a muscle.

"I feel good as new!" Cole answered.

"Are you okay?" Nya asked him. Zane jerked to the side.

"I'm fine. I just need some rest." Zane said.

"Let's give him some room." Jay said. The others marched out the room, and P.I.X.A.L. began to leave when Zane grabbed her arm.

"Zane?" P.I.X.A.L. looked back at him, and Zane hid his face.

"Sorry." Zane replied, letting her go. P.I.X.A.L. looked at him with worry, but left the room.

Zane clamped one hand on the rail, then another one his mouth, and let out a small scream. He had been silencing every needle of pain which inflicted him.

Zane saw errors flash through his system, and screamed into his hand.

What's going on? Zane writhed from the pain. His nerves burnt from the torment it brought.

"What are you doing?" Zane looked up to find Garmadon observing him.

"Help me." Zane whispered. Garmadon watched him freeze the entire room, and he collapsed on the floor.

"I think I overdid it." Zane whimpered.

"The switching back and forth?" Garmadon asked. Zane nodded.

"The switching, I think it's been scarring me. I've been seeing these gashes and holes, and the pain's been growing." Zane admitted. Zane pulled the ice back, and sighed when the pain was released.

"Then stop the pain." Garmadon said. Zane glared at him.

"I'd rather face the pain then show them who he is. If I do, then everything I've worked for will fall apart." Zane answered.

"Well, seeing what the ninja are doing now will probably seem even worse." Garmadon said.

"What are they doing?"

"The robot I'm assuming you call P.I.X.A.L. found Kenya's coordinates." Garmadon replied.

"What?" Zane asked.

"They're going right now to intercept her." Garmadon said. Zane stood, and tried walking to the door, but he fell on the floor.

"It's still there." Zane muttered. Edges of pain lined his mind, but Zane reached out for the doorknob.

Garmadon watched him amused. "Are you seriously going to keep up this facade?"

"Of course!" He replied.

"Then who's side are you going to be on?" Garmadon asked.

"Both." Zane gritted. He tried grasping the knob, but fell to his knees.

Garmadon walked over to him and kicked him against the wall. Zane hit the floor with a heavy thud, and scowled.

"What are you doing?" Zane questioned.

"If you take a step out that door, you're going to die." Garmadon said.

"What?" Zane replied. Garmadon sighed.

"I'm not going to repeat this again." Garmadon grabbed him by the shirt.

"You take a step outside, you will die. Either side will take control, and seeing how it's gone so far, it won't be pretty. You'll go to the ninja, but your kindness will break your heart, and destroy you. Or, you'll go to Yulta, and try and switch back. Once you do, your will will force you to become yourself, at the cost of your death."

"I know this will happen, but I don't have a choice!" Zane yelled.

"Do you really not?" Garmadon replied. He scowled.

"I'm not the type to get sentimental, nor do I have it in me to show mercy, but I'll share what I have to say once." Garmadon sat down in one of the chairs, and stared Zane straight in the face.

"I'm sure Wu's told you the tale of me falling prey to the Great Devourer's venom." He started out. Zane nodded.

"During the time it spread, the effects of the venom ravaged my mind. Every thought I had was traced with evil beliefs, which brought me to my current state." Garmadon lifted his four arms in example.

"But just because that evil consumed my mind, I didn't let it control me. I forged my own path, however different from Wu's, and eventually created a--" Garmadon paused, and Zane just looked at him.

"You know what I'm saying. I don't know what caused you to have so much blood lust, but you still have control over what you do. You still have a choice."

"But I don't! If I turn into him now, I may never be like this again!" Zane shouted. Garmadon gave him a flat expression.

"Do you really not have a choice? Or did the fight I see with you and P.I.X.A.L. miraculously have her come out with two injuries, compared to the multiple Zeke had?" Garmadon stood, and walked to the door.

"This incident you're in isn't because of the scroll, or whatever it is this time." Garmadon looked back at Zane. "It's yourself you're fighting. Now will you let this fight expose your secret, or will you go there yourself?" Garmadon left the room, leaving Zane alone.

A choice? Zane looked up at the space where Garmadon left. A flare of pain sparked within him, and Zane moved his arm up on the bed. He holstered himself up, and gripped he frame.

I'm dying, imbecile! I'm dying, and it's all....

My fault. Zane finished. More pain flashed before him, and Zane steadied himself. He chuckled.

I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. Zane thought feebly. I don't think I can keep it back anymore. The others are probably honing in on Kenya's position as I speak.

I can't stop it anymore. Zane confirmed. Everything is out of my control.

Zane reflected on Garmadon's words, then looked up at the ceiling.

No. I refuse to give up. I may be engulfed in these flames, but I choose my own future. And the first thing I'm doing is stopping this pain.