cripples, bastards, and broken things

LEWYS, DAENERYS, VISERYS, AND JORAH RODE TOGETHER TO VAES DOTHRAK

LEWYS, DAENERYS, VISERYS, AND JORAH RODE TOGETHER TO VAES DOTHRAK. "Vaes Dothrak. The city of the horselords." Daenerys gazed out in amazement.

"Pile of mud." Viserys said simply. "Mud and shit and twigs. It's the best these savages can do."

"These are my people now. You shouldn't call them savages." Daenerys sneered looking towards her brother.

"I'll call them what I like because they're my people. This is my army. Khal Drogo's marching the wrong way with my army." Viserys urged his horse forwards. Lewys sent Daenerys a small smile which she returned.

Lewys and Jorah accompanied Daenerys as they travelled down the road. "If my brother was given an army of Dothraki, could he conquer the Seven Kingdoms?"

"The Dothraki have never crossed the Narrow Sea. They fear any waters their horses can't drink..." Jorah was interrupted by Daenerys.

"But if they did?"

"King Robert is fool enough to meet them in open battle. But the men advising him are different."

"And you both know these men?" Daenerys asked looking at both Jorah and Lewys who seemed to be looking into space.

"I fought beside them once. Long ago." Jorah reminisced with a twinkle in his eye. "I swore to protect Lewys of House Lannister with my life. Now, Ned Stark wants both of our heads. He drove me from my land. Lewys left the Seven Kingdoms of his own accord.

"You sold slaves, you arse." Lewys scoffed as Daenerys smiled softly.

"Aye." Jorah grinned at his friend.

"Why?" Daenerys asked innocently.

"I had no money and an expensive wife." Jorah sighed as Lewys gave him a look of pity.

"Where is she now?" Daenerys knew not of the scabs she was picking from the Mormont's past.

"In another place with another man." Lewys shook his head.

"A shame, really." Lewys and Daenerys shared a look. "I was engaged once to the beautiful Raena Martell. I rejected her because I wanted to become my own person, see the world, find whatever's west of Westeros."

"And did you? Did you find what's west of Westeros?" Daenerys asked listening intently to Lewys' every word.

Lewys only shrugged in response. "I wouldn't know. The expedition never took place."
*****

THE HAND'S TOURNAMENT HAD BEGUN AND ALL TORIA BARATHEON COULD THINK OF WAS HOW CRUEL SHE WAS TO PUSH THE HAND'S SON FROM A TOWER WINDOW

THE HAND'S TOURNAMENT HAD BEGUN AND ALL TORIA BARATHEON COULD THINK OF WAS HOW CRUEL SHE WAS TO PUSH THE HAND'S SON FROM A TOWER WINDOW. As she sat beside Joffrey clutching his hand tightly, she observed the Mountain as he rode up to the main stands to face them. "Oh, gods." Toria moaned and Joffrey looked at her concerned for her wellbeing. "Who is the Mountain's opponent?"

"Ser Hugh of the Vale. He was Jon Arryn's squire if you recall. Look at how far he's come." The Mountain opened his helmet and bowed his head to the king before closing it.

"Yes, yes, enough of the bloody pomp. Have at him." King Robert gestured for the two knights to ride over to their starting positions. A horn sounded as the two were handed shields and the long poles used for jousts. The two took off charging at each other but missed their targets as they rode past.

"I can't look." Toria hid her face in Joffrey's shoulder. Joffrey patted her head softly and he watched the joust intently. Toria raised her head slightly as the two men charged at each other for a second time. The Mountain struck Ser Hugh and he fell from his horse with a large chunk of wood sticking into his throat.

Toria heard the distinct scream of Sansa Stark as many others watching gasped. Toria watched as the knight twitched on the ground and finally went still. She swallowed as Myrcella and Marlena came over with Tommen.

The youngest stag was crying and he rushed into Toria's arms. She embraced her little brother as Marlena did the same for Myrcella. Joffrey tightened his hold on Toria as she watched Marlena as she trembled. Toria watched in morbid fascination as the Arryn knight was dragged from the scene.