the prince of winterfell

RAENA MARTELL walked alongside Robb Stark in deep conversation

RAENA MARTELL walked alongside Robb Stark in deep conversation. "Is she beautiful?"

"I've never met her." Robb admitted solemnly and Raena looked at him sadly.

"Well," Raena tried again. "What's her name? Surely you must know that."

"Frey." Robb told her as he held out a hand for her to take as he stepped over a fallen tree. Raena took his hand gratefully as she stepped over the tree. "I suppose I don't know her first name."

"Well," Raena released her hold on his hand. "I'm sure you'll be very happy." The two laughed at the hilarity of the situation they were in. "And you're marrying her for a bridge."

"An important bridge." Robb corrected the Martell with a smirk.

"Ah," Raena looked away from the Stark.

"It was before they killed my father." Robb told her truthfully as they continued on. "I- I still thought I could march south in time, but only if I crossed that bridge."

Raena looked down with her hand intertwined. "When I speak with people of the North, they all loved your father." She locked eyes with Robb.

"He was the best man I ever met." Robb looked forward as Raena kept her eyes on him. "I know children always think that about their fathers, but he truly..."

"Children do not always think that about their fathers," Raena looked away from him. "Believe me."

"He once told me that being a Lord is like being a father." Robb recalled as he and Raena stepped away from the guards behind them. "Except you have thousands of children and you worry about all of them. Farmers plowing fields are yours to protect. The charwomen scrubbing the floors, yours to protect, the soldiers you order intk battle. He told me woke with fear in the morning and went to bed with fear in the night. I didn't believe him. Asked him how can a man be brave if he's afraid. That is the only time a man can be brave, he told me."

Raena listened attentively as he spoke and looked at him when he glanced at her. "I wish I could've met him. I heard many great things."

"He would have liked you." Raena let out a small laugh.

"Most Lords worry more about their gold and their glory than the charwoman scrubbing their floors." Raena's thoughts went to Prince Doran who cared more about alliances and gold than his people.

"He didn't care much about gold or glory." Robb looked at the Martell.

"And you?" Raena stopped walking to look at him.

"You think I'm fighting this war so they'll sing songs about me?" Robb looked at her seriously. "I want to go home." Raena smoothed down her brown dress with discomfort. "I want the men following me to go home."

"And why don't you?" Raena asked him looking up at the Stark again.

"Because we'll never be safe until the Lannisters are defeated and because I believe in justice." Robb told her and Raena narrowed her eyes at him.