garden of bones

RAENA MARTELL sat down beside Talisa as she began to prepare to sever the foot from a Lannister soldier

RAENA MARTELL sat down beside Talisa as she began to prepare to sever the foot from a Lannister soldier. Raena shushed the young lad who looked up at her gratefully. It was then that she noticed Robb Stark approaching them after hearing the commotion. "Talisa, I'll handle this one. Go on and find a task more suited to your weaker stomach." She teased the girl with a small smile. "I'll be fine. Go." Talisa hurried off to find another soldiet to tend to. Raena took the boy's boot off his foot and examined the wound. The boy continued to plead with her to stop. "The rot's set in."

Raena took a leather strap to tie around his upper leg to secure it. "No, no don't!" The boy frantically pushed her hands away from his leg. "Please, don't! It'll get better! It doesn't even hurt!"

Raena quickly hushed the boy. "The rot will spread. If we don't take the foot now..."

"No, you can't!" Raena met eyes with the King in the North with a sigh. The king took hold of the boy's shoulders and pulled him back towards the ground. Raena watched in shock befire tying the leather cord around his leg. "Sir, please! I can't lose it!"

"You'll die if she doesn't." The Stark said in a surprisingly calm voice.

"I don't want to be a cripple! Please!"

"Surely one of our men needs your attention more than this cub." A older man told Raena who scoffed.

"Your men are not my men, milord" The king glanced at her before turning back to the Lannister.

"Put this in your mouth and lie down. You don't want to watch."

"No! You can't" The boy cried out looking at his foot. Raena took out the saw tears in her eyes.

"Bite on it. Better than biting your own tongue, believe me." The king shoved a piece of cloth into the boy's mouth.

"I'm so sorry." Raena whispered and with that, she began to cut down on the foot. The boy's muffled screams sounded in the field as Raena continued to cut the foot down to the bone and then grunting as she cut through the bone and the rest of the foot. What she didn't notice was the King in the North watching her while she did so.

Raena stood up from the ground shakily and nodded at the king in thanks before turning to find Talisa. Talisa hurried over to help her lift the boy into the medical wagon. Raena hit the wood when the boy was safely inside. She then turned to Talisa and nodded. Talisa left her friend to pack her medical instruments. "What's your name?"

"Raena." She answered simply not even looking up from wiping her saw clean from blood and tissue fibers.

"Your last name?"

"You want to know what side my family fights on?" Raena smiled softly not looking up at the king.

"You know my family name. You have me at a disadvantage."