Chapter Eighteen

A couple of weeks  later, and Jasmine had gotten herself a place on the hockey team and found out that she was actually quite a good player, much to the annoyance of Kate. The girls quips and constant jabbing at Jasmine continued, but never got to being violent. Jasmine had no idea why the girl was so persistent in her efforts, and planned to confront the girl soon and get the real bottom of why she was the way she was.

At the moment, Jasmine and Kate were in their dorm room as Jasmine was once again getting ready to meet Peter. Susan and Lucy had work they wanted to get on with so were going to pass on today in favour of seeing them tomorrow.

"Kate, I need your opinion." Jasmine spoke.

"Ask someone else." Kate quipped, not taking her eyes off the magazine she was reading.

"No one else is here." Jasmine pointed out, so Kate rolled her eyes and shut her magazine. "Do you think I should wear my hair up or down?"

"I dunno." Kate shrugged. She then sighed upon seeing the soft face Jasmine had. "Half up, half down. It frames your face nicely."

"Oh. Well thanks." Jasmine said, going to the mirror. "Can you help me? I'm not good at putting my hair up."

"Yeah, I know." Kate replied, putting down her magazine and going to stand behind Jasmine. She used a brush on Jasmine's bed to brush the hair she wanted towards the back and used a ribbon to tie it together, putting a little bow into it. "There."

"Thanks." Jasmine admired her hair and smiled at Kate through the mirror. "Why are you so mean to me, Kate?" Jasmine asked. Kate looked a bit surprised she had asked that, and looked away from the mirror. "Is it to do with your family?"

"No. And don't mention my family." Kate stropped back over to her bed, and resume her original position of laying and reading a magazine.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" Jasmine was cut off by a knock on the dorm door. It opened and Brenda poked her head round.

"Guess who's waiting for you at the school gates?" She asked Jasmine with a grin on her face.

"He's here?" She looked to the clock and frowned. "He's early. And not at the park like we agreed."

"Maybe he's eager to see you." Brenda wiggled her eyebrows.

"Or he's hiding something." Kate spoke, once again not looking up from her magazine. She would constantly quip in like she just had about Peter, trying her best to put some doubt into Jasmine's mind. Jasmine wouldn't let it show, but it was working the teeny tiniest bit.

"His brother's with him." Brenda sang, which made Kate's look soften. Brenda smiled at the look and Jasmine was surprised to see it.

"You can come say hi if you want." Jasmine suggested.

"Fine." Kate huffed and shut her magazine. "But only to say hi. I have better things to do than hang around with you and your weirdo boyfriend's family." Kate retorted before taking her coat and heading out the room.

"And here I thought I was getting through to her." Jasmine said, going over to get her own coat as well as her satchel from her bed.

"She's just having a hard time right now." Brenda said, walking into the room.

"You always say that but it's no excuse. You know why she's the way that she is, don't you?"

"I do. But it's not my place to say. Just know that being here whilst the war is on is very stressful for her and the longer she goes without a word from her mother, the worse it hits her." Brenda said, and Jasmine nodded understanding.