Chapter Twenty Nine

·

The siblings and their group travelled for hours on end, with Peter being so determined to get to Jasmine that  he ignored how tired and hungry he was to continue on. They had a plan to save her and he didn't want to waste more time that he already had.

"I'm so hungry." Kate groaned from the back of Edmund's horse and leaned her head on Edmund's back. "And tired."

"Pete!" Edmund called after his brother. "Peter, we should stop."

"Yeah, my tummy's grumbling so loudly." Lucy said as she caressed her hungry belly. Peter seemed to ignore them so Aslan walked up next to his horse.

"Peter, I know you want to get there as quick as possible, I do too. But we can't face them feeling weak and slow. The castle isn't far. We should stop off, refuel and get some rest."

"He's right, Peter." Caspian spoke. "If we want to save her, we need to be at our best. Plus I think we should take a couple of soldiers with us, just in case."

"They're obviously watching us, Caspian. So if we brought soldiers it might make them rethink how long their waiting to kill her. I can't risk it. We can handle them ourselves." Peter said.

"But we still should go the castle and get some rest. Don't you want to be at your best to have the best chance of saving her?" Susan asked, and Peter was beat.

"Fine. But as soon as the sun rises, we're setting off again." He said, turning his horse to go towards the castle. The others did the same, and off to the castle they went.

--

When they got to the castle, the siblings, along with Kate and Eustace, got some food for themselves and ate together in the dining hall. But Peter sat on his own, holding Jasmine's engagement ring in between his fingers. He looked over it and tears started to blur his vision. He put his face on his hands and smacked his palm on his forehead a couple of times. He was beating himself up badly about this whole situation and felt like he had failed Jasmine, and let her down in the worst way. He couldn't blame her if she hated him in some way. He hated himself.

"You shouldn't beat yourself up, Peter." Aslan spoke as he came over.

"I can't help it. The image  of her tied up is constantly in my head. Almost berating me that I failed her. Because I did, I failed her. I let her down and I shouldn't have done. If I was with her, I could have stopped them. I should have kept her safe like I promised you I would." He said, then shyly looked to Aslan. "I'm sorry I put all the blame on you. It's my fault too."

"No one is at fault, Peter. They have a great power in their hands that not even I could sense. We could not have stopped it if we didn't know it was going to happen."

"You can sense her, right?"

"Yes."

"Is she scared?"

"A little. But she knows that we're on our way."

"Can you speak to her? Like you did to warn me she was being attacked?"

"They might be able to hear it, Peter." Aslan told him.

"But I need her to know that I'm coming for her. And that I love her with everything I have."

"Trust me, Peter. She knows." Aslan reassured him then gave him a small smile before walking away and to the others. Peter sighed and put Jasmine's ring back in his pocket. He swore to himself in that moment that he would do what he had to to save her and make sure he never failed her or let her down ever again.