Chapter Thirty Seven

·

"In labour?" Jasmine asked in surprise, and Helen nodded. "But it can't. I've got a month left."

"Sometimes they come early. And it seems yours is." Helen said as she rubbed Jasmine's back slowly.

"Oh god." Jasmine said, her breathing now becoming faster when it sunk in. "But Peter's not here. He's on a school trip!"

"I know, but it doesn't seem to want to wait. Just stay calm, okay? I'm going to go call the midwife. Do you have her number?"

"It's on the fridge." Jasmine told her, holding her belly.

"Okay, dear. You stay there." Helen smoothed over Jasmine's hair, kissed her head then went to call the midwife. But as soon as she left, Jasmine felt pain again and moved to lay on her back. She did some breathing excises that the midwife had taught her about and took a pillow to rest her head on.

"You could have waited another day, ya know." Jasmine talked to her bump. "Peter doesn't work on weekends." She said, before having to grit her teeth as her pain increased. After a couple more minutes, Helen came rushing back into the room. She knelt down next to Jasmine and caressed her hair.

"Okay, the midwife is on her way but she's on her bike so she might be an hour or so." Helen told her.

"Seriously?!" Jasmine exclaimed.

"Yes, I know. But I'm not leaving your side, okay? Not even when Peter get's here."

"But what if the baby comes before then? I don't want him to miss it."

"Babies don't just pop out after your water breaks, Jas. It takes hours to be dilated enough to push. I was in labour for 10 hours when I had Susan. He should be back in a couple of hours, correct?" Helen asked, looking to the clock on the mantelpiece.

"Well, he should be. But what if something happens? Like, he get's into an accident or something."

"That's very unlikely, Jas." Helen said, then reached over and double tapped the coffee table. "Touch wood."

"Touch wood?"

"It's a thing you do for good luck. You've never heard of that?" Helen asked and Jasmine shook her head. "Alright then. But what the midwife did say is we move you to somewhere more comfortable, like your bed. But having a baby is messy business, so have you got towels?"

"In the cupboard next to the wardrobe." Jasmine replied. Helen nodded and helped the girl to stand and walk her to the bedroom. As they got to the bed, another bout of pain was felt by Jasmine and she leaned on the bed, gripping the sheets. Helen rubbed her back in hopes to comfort her, and looked at the clock on the wall. She sighed, hoping the midwife would arrive soon.

--

Meanwhile in the National History Museum, Peter, his class and another teacher were being led around the dinosaur section by one of the workers at the museum. He walked with one of the newer members of his class, little Tabitha. She and her family had just moved from the island of Guernsey near the south of England, and so far she had not made any friends within the class. Therefore, Peter always kept an eye on her and wanted to make sure she felt comfortable and safe in his class.

"And here we have the Brachiosaurus." The worker stopped in front of one of the bigger skeletons, making the kids stop and be in awe of how big it was. The kids craned their necks up to look at the very long neck it was supposed to have had. "Recognised by it's very long neck, the Brachiosaurus stands bigger than the Mammoth we saw earlier, at approximately 13 metres in height." One of the kids hands shot up. "Yes, lad."