Chapter Nineteen

The next day, and Jasmine was waiting for Kate in the phone room as she tried to contact her mum. Unfortunately, Kate wasn't getting an answer, so the girl tried a couple of times to get into contact with her. But, nothing came up.

"For god sake, mother. Pick up!" Kate almost shouted into the phone, before slamming it back down.

"Maybe she's busy." Jasmine said softly.

"She's never busy at this time." Kate replied, turning to Jasmine and crossing her arms. "You don't think it's bad, do you?"

"Kate, it could be anything. Let's not assume the worst, okay?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll call her later."

"Okay. Now come on, Susan and Lucy will be waiting for us." Jasmine said and the girls walked together through the corridor and to the stairs.

"Are you sure it's okay for me to come with you today? Your boyfriend did say to stay away from you." Kate said, adjusting the blouse she was wearing.

"Look Kate, we've all done things and said things we come to regret. We learn and we change. They'll understand that." Jasmine reassured her.

"If not, I'll take a step back. Those guys mean the world to you and I would never want to come in between you."

"It's not going to come to that. I'll make sure of it." Jasmine told her as the girls got outside. Jasmine saw Susan and Lucy waiting for them and gave them a wave, but as she she waved, Susan frowned at seeing Kate and met the girls halfway.

"Jas, what the-"

"Shut up, Susan." Jasmine cut her off. "Zip it, she's my friend, now let's go. Come on, Kate." Jasmine nodded for Kate follow and walked ahead. Kate hesitated but followed Jasmine. Susan and Lucy shared a confused look before catching up with the girls. They walked towards the gates, where Chris stood waiting for them.

"Oh hey, Jas." Chris gave a smile as the girls approached.

"Hey Chris. This is Kate, one of my roommates." Jasmine said, motioning towards the girl. Kate only nodded, feeling very uncomfortable in-between Lucy and Susan.

"Oh, hello. I'm Chris." He greeted with smile and held his hand out towards Kate. Kate just looked at his hand and then looked away, causing Chris to take his hand back. "Not much of a talker? That's okay. I talk enough for the both of us."

"Give her time, Chris." Jasmine told him.

"Sure. Well, it's nice to meet you anyway." Chris said to Kate. Kate stayed silent once more, and even though Susan and Lucy weren't glaring at her at all, it sure felt like they were. "So, are we ready to go? I brought my chess set like you asked me to." He said, bringing his back to the front of his body.

"Oh, nice. Thanks Chris." Jasmine smiled up at him, then turned to Kate. "Chris is gonna teach us some chess. Is that okay?" She asked her.

"Yeah." Kate nodded.

"Good. So let's go." Jasmine said, linking her arm with Kate's before joining Chris to walk to the park.

"What is happening? Has she gone mad?" Susan asked Lucy.

"I don't know, Susan. But Kate is acting differently." Lucy replied.

"Yeah. Too differently." Susan said before the two siblings went to catch up with the other three. Soon, they came across the park, and it seemed Peter and Edmund were running late for once. Jasmine hoped it was because they were late.