Eight|| Fight Me

"Morning," I greeted the others cheerfully, trying my best to make my smile genuine.

Evan stared at me for a moment, his blue eyes probing as I served myself some pancakes.

"How'd you sleep?" Mila asked, taking a sip of her coffee. I shrugged.

"I slept alright. You?"

"Fine." Mila said.

"I had a dream that I got a pony, and her name was Jo," Emmy spoke up, and I smiled a real smile.

"Really?" I asked, overdoing my interest. "What'd she look like? Was she nice?"

"She was soooo nice!" Emmy said excitedly. "And she was black with white spots!"

"Aww, she sounds so cute!" I said. Emmy smiled and returned to her plate, while Anna and I shared an amused smile.

"I want to get some more training done, and see if we can go to Haven." Sarah said to me, and I nodded.

"Sounds like a plan. Although, can I push harder?" I asked, looking over Emmy to look at her.

Sarah shook her head. "That's not safe, it could hurt you-"

"I can handle it, Sarah." I insisted. "I promise."

"No." Evan spoke up, setting down his coffee.

"Evan-"

"No," He repeated more firmly. He said nothing else, which made me mad.

He never gave explanations, just expected you to do what you're told just because he said so.

I opened my mouth to speak but stopped, noticing the people around us were all silent and staring at the man who walked in.

He had straight blonde hair slicked back, with bright blue eyes, and a tattoo poking out of his leather jacket, swirling up his neck.

Evan turned around and shot to his feet, his eyes wide and hopeful.

The man shook his head, a sad look on his face.

Evan lowered his head in pain, and stormed out of the dining room.

I was utterly confused, but the others didn't seem confused.

Mila got up and walked over to the man, hugging him.

"It's good to see you, Axel." Mila said softly. Axel hugged her back.

"You too, Mila. I'm sorry I couldn't-"

"Shh," Mila cupped his face in her hands. "It's okay. We all understand."

Axel nodded and Mila led him over to the table. Axel sat where Evan had been sitting, and offered me his hand to shake.

"I'm Axel."

"Taylor," I said, shaking his hand. Axel suddenly stiffened, his eyes glazing over.

"Evan wants a debrief." Axel said, sighing heavily. "It was nice to meet you, Taylor. I hope to see you later." Axel stood up and left the room.

I looked over at Mila, my mouth opening to question her. She shook her head.

"Evan should be the one to tell you." She said.

I nodded, respecting that. Although hell would freeze over before Evan shared something that seemed so personal with me.

"Want to go spar in the training field?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah, after this," I said, nodding.

--------------------------

"Come on!" Sarah came at me again, and I ducked her punch, punching her in the gut and spinning around, kicking at her head.