Fourteen|| Borders

"Good morning." I greeted, sitting down with Anna.

"Morning." She greeted.

"Is Emmy at school?" I asked. Anna nodded.

"It's waffles for breakfast at the school- Emmy always wants the waffles."

"That's cute," I remarked, and she laughed.

"How'd you sleep?" She asked. I shrugged.

"I slept alright. I'm still having those dreams." I admitted.

"You haven't chosen?" She asked.

"How can I?" I asked. "It's my brother or my mate."

"May I?" She asked, and I nodded. "Your brother is gone, Taylor." She said gently. "Evan is still here. And I think you've already chosen," She added, sweeping my hair back and gesturing to the mark on my neck.

"So why haven't they gone away?" I asked.

"Because you haven't admitted to yourself that you've chosen." She said.

"I'm scared I'll stop seeing Thomas. He said I can't have them both." I said.

Anna got up. "Walk with me." It wasn't a request.

I got up and walked with her, following her out of the pack house and down the running path around the back.

Evan wouldn't let me go in the woods unless he was with me, after that minor incident.

"You can't move on and be happy if you keep seeing your brother every night. Time can't heal that hole in your heart if you don't let it." Anna said to me. "You need to stop choosing the dead over the living."

We walked through the training field, and I saw Evan chatting with Axel, standing by a mat.

He scented me and turned, waving for me.

"Taylor!"

"Emmy got in trouble with her teacher." Anna said with a sigh.

I turned to her. "What happened?" I asked, worried.

"Emmy got into a fight with the school bully, she was sticking up for a younger kid. I've gotta go pick her up." Anna left, and I walked over to my mate.

"What happened?" Evan asked.

I shook my head. "Emmy got in a dustup at school."

"What happened?" Evan asked, although he didn't sound surprised.

"Bully plus tiny kid plus Emmy' s protectiveness equals Emmy hopefully giving bully ass kicking in said dustup." I said, winking.

"Your wishing for a child to be hurt?" Axel asked, raising his eyebrows and shaking his head at me.

"You open yourself up to get punched if you wanna bully other prople. Look what happened to my bullies." I pointed out.

"And what happened to your bullies?" Axel asked with attitude.

"They're dead, and the ones that aren't yet will be soon." I said, and Evan smiled at me proudly.

"Spar with me."

"Aw, Evan, come on, I'm not in the-"

Evan punched me and I grabbed his fist, twisting around and pulling him over my back.

He landed on his back and looked up at me, not even fazed.

"That's my girl." He said with a grin, jumping to his feet.

Come on," I said with a sigh, gesturing for him to come at me. "You'll win, you have your stupid Alpha strength, and that lycan."

"Are you accusing me of being a cheater?" Evan asked, mock offended.