Seventeen|| Calm

A/N: Sorry it's late! Only one today though.🥰.

——————————————————

"Oof!"

Summer hit the ground again and popped back up to her feet.

"I'm good," She said breathlessly.

"Come on, you can do this." I encouraged her.

"I growing a bit more doubtful of that each time you take me down," Summer replied.

I laughed. "Come on, I'm getting old here waiting for you."

----------------

Jess came at Ariel from the front and Willow came at her from behind. Ariel parried Jess' blow and ducked, moving to the side to avoid Willow's.

Ariel whirled around so she was facing them both, and then they went at it.

The sounds of their staffs clashing rang out across the field as Ariel twirled the piece in her hands, blocking one blow and another.

She looked especially fierce.

With a twirl of her staff and a flick of her wrist, Willow twisted the staff right out of Ariel's hands, and it fell to the ground behind Willow.

Jess came at Ariel high and Willow came at her low.

Ariel quickly jumped through the opening between their staffs headfirst, rolling and somersaulting across the grass, grabbing her staff as she popped back up to her feet.

They turned around to face Ariel and she blew out a puff of air, moving her brown strands out of her eyes.

"Thinking of calling it quits?" Jess teased Ariel with a friendly grin.

"Who, me? I'm not tired, are you?" Ariel asked.

Willow spun around and took her by surprise, crouching down and sweeping Ariel's legs out from underneath her.

She landed on her back and let out an "oof!".

She propped herself up on her elbows and looked up at the two girls, who high fived each other with matching grins.

------------------------

"I'll be back later," Evan said. "I gotta make a call, it could take a while."

He put his hands on my shoulders from behind the couch. I looked up at him.

"Okay."

He leaned down and kissed me from behind, then left, jogging downstairs.

"I hope my mate will look at me like that one day," Summer said dreamily.

I laughed. "You'd have to have a stupid mate for him not to look at you like that." Summer shrugged.

"Here's hoping he's not," she said, crossing her fingers.

"Here's hoping," I agreed.

---------------------------

I paced in slow circles in the training room, twirling my staff in my hands.

My thoughts swirled as I spun the piece, wondering what I would ever get out of these fights.

Killing only came easily because I was used to it.

But did I want to kill?

What did I want? Did I even know? Had I ever known? Would I ever?

It seemed that my life was continually one decision after another that was made for me by the circumstances of my life.

"I know that face," I looked up to see Jemma walking up to me, dressed in workout clothes. "That's the pity party face so many of you Gifted wear."