Twenty-Seven|| Save Her

"Get the coven on the line!"

"I need a cure for this!"

"Where's the knife?"

"Here!"

"Get working on it!"

"I need two bags of Gifted O Neg, stat!"

I watched as Sarah wheeled her straight into surgery, waiting in the halls, anger, desperation, and a touch of deja vu ringing around in my brain.

I couldn't take this. I couldn't believe my brother tried to kill the woman I love.

"Axel and some soldiers are escorting Charlie straight to the Ice Pack," Orion told me softly, waiting for me to lose it.

"Get me Kaden on the line," I said, my voice desperate. When he didn't move, I snarled at him. "NOW!"

--------------------

I sat in one of those plastic chairs lining the hall, my elbows resting on my knees, my hands in a praying position, my forehead resting on my fingers.

I was praying. Praying to a Goddess I had lost belief in. Praying for my wife to come back to me. Praying for the Jadis coven to find a cure.

Just praying.

My Mother, Mila and Orion were in the waiting room a few feet away. I could hear Mila comforting my sobbing Mother, and Orion pacing the floor.

I desperately wanted my mate to walk out of those doors and envelope me in a hug, whisper to me that everything was going to be alright.

The Jadis coven had been toiling here and in other places, looking for a cure, which Jakob promised me they could find.

"This cure looks like one we've seen before many times. I'll have to consult with Carter Hamilton first," he had said before hurrying out of the hospital.

I heard a phone start ringing in my mate's room, and Blake answered it. "You did? Oh thank god. Get over here with the ingredients, we'll make it here. She's only got a few more hours left."

My wolf whined deep inside of me. A few more hours, and my reason to be alive will be dead. The light in my life permanently snuffed out.

I couldn't take the waiting. It was agony.

I could feel the pain Taylor was in through the bond. It was nothing she hadn't felt before, but it still hurt.

I waited anxiously for almost an hour before Jakob showed up, running down the hall with a cloth bag in his hand.

I shot to my feet and tried to follow him into the room, but Sarah blocked me, shoving me back into the hall.

"Let us do our jobs," she said to me. I tried to muscle past her, but Orion grabbed me by my shoulders and pulled me back.

"You heard her, man. Let them save her," Orion said to me. I shrugged him off and stood there in front of the door, refusing to move until they told me she would be fine or... until she died.

I waited for another painstakingly long twenty minutes before I heard footsteps, and the door opened.

Sarah stood in front of me, looking pale and exhausted. She sent me a tired smile. "She'll live. The cure worked." she stepped aside and I entered the room, hurrying over to Taylor's side.

I took her hand in mine, my finger brushing the ring on her hand.

I looked up at Blake and Jakob, relief and gratitude swelling in my heart like a forest fire. "Thank you," I said, sincerity rolling off of me in waves. They nodded to me and left the room, giving me a moment alone with her.