Twenty-Two|| Benched

"Oh hey Taylor," Charlie greeted, entering the flat.

"Oh, hi Charlie." I smiled, a bundle of nerves in my stomach.

I sat on the floor watching Emmy color her princess picture before Anna took her to school.

"Whatcha drawing there, Emmy?" Charlie asked.

Emmy ignored him, remaining silent, and I peered at her curiously.

"Emmy?" I asked softly. The door opened and Anna came walking in. She gave a berth around Charlie, although she played it cool.

"Come on Emmy, it's time for school." Anna said, and Emmy nodded, putting her picture in her room and grabbing her backpack.

"I'll walk with you," I offered.

"Actually, I was hoping to talk to you," Charlie cut in quickly before Anna could respond.

"Yeah, sure, okay." I said with a fake smile.

Anna and Emmy left, but I felt the power inside of me buzzing like a thousand bees, ready to be unleashed the second he made a threatening move.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?" I asked into the silence.

"It's Emmy." Charlie ran a hand through his hair. "She doesn't like me and I don't know why, or how to change that."

“She’s young, Charlie.” I shook my head. “And although she may act like a normal, happy child, she isn’t. She needs time.”

“You don’t like me very much either,” Charlie accused. I inwardly winced. He was onto me.

“It’s not that, Charlie. My brother is dead,” my voice cracked and Charlie looked away, unable to look in my eyes. I cleared my throat to continue speaking. “It’s nothing against you. I’m just an adult version of Emmy. I need time too. I have to go, though.”

I made to move past Charlie, but his hand locked around my arm, grabbing me tight.

“Why are you here?” Charlie asked. I froze, turning around to stare at him with shock.

“Excuse me?” I bristled, hostility in my tone. I ripped my arm out of his grasp, turning to him, my face in his. He didn’t blink.

“Why are you with my brother? The Star Alpha, the half-lycan. The man who can never comfort a crying girl. You must cry a lot. Why are you with him?”

“He’s changed.” I said rudely. My wolf was fighting, scratching at the surface. She wanted to kill him for challenging our love for our mate.

“What’s going on in here?” Evan came out of the shower in the guest bedroom, his eyes scanning the room. I could see the wheels in his brain turning, and my cold brown eyes met his. His eyes widened slightly when he took in my appearance, and his wolf probed at mine.

My wolf snarled through the link he was creating, and his wolf rumbled in response, rising to the defense of his mate. Evan, however, was silent, waiting for someone to answer his question.

“You don’t know that man he’s become. And you don’t know the hell I’ve been through. It’s none of your business.” I said firmly, my tone quiet but deadly. “Do not ever question me again.” I felt the Luna in my rising out, my tone becoming threatening, the order in it ringing clear in the room.

“Charlie,” Evan said warningly, a subtle warning in his tone. Charlie backed away from me, his hands raising in a surrendering motion.

I looked up at the clock on the wall and grabbed my phone from the counter. “If you’ll excuse me, I have somewhere I have to be.” I said politely, making my way past him and out the door.