Twenty-Nine|| Happy Ever After Doesn't Mean Forever

A/N: Can we just appreciate this for a moment please?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You made dinner?" I entered the kitchen, smelling grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Evan grinned up at me from his spot at the stove, a spatula in hand.

"Sure." he shrugged. I walked up to him and kissed him warmly, feeling happier now that I was with him.

"You called Isa again?" Evan asked me knowingly. I left him and headed up to our room, knowing he could hear me.

"Yeah, no new news." I replied, stripping from my clothing and throwing on one of his blue t-shirts, then heading back downstairs.

"You still think someone betrayed us?" Evan asked.

"Yeah. Don't you?" I entered the kitchen and pulled myself up onto the counter. Evan nodded.

"I do." he looked deep in thought.

"What's on your mind?" I asked him.

"I just don't like the idea of another traitor in our midst," Evan said darkly. I stared at him, feeling pain for what he was going through.

Now we both had lost our brothers. Except mine had died a hero. His was alive, and a monster.

"I'm sorry," I said softly. Evan shrugged, sighing.

"Don't be. It's over now. How are you feeling?"

"Chris and I weren't close. I just don't like losing one of our own. He fought for us when he didn't have to even get involved. He deserved more than this." I said sadly.

"I know," Evan nodded in agreement. He turned off the stove and walked over to me. "You hungry?" he asked, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Maybe not for food," I murmured, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him. He set down the spatula and grabbed my legs, wrapping them around his waist and carrying me over to the couch.

-------------

"Emmy, time to get ready for school!" Anna called, entering our living room. Emmy looked up from the coffee table, pouting.

"But I haven't finished my picture!" she whined.

"Hey now, what did we say about whining?" I chided her. She sighed.

"Whining is for babies, and I'm not a baby."

"Exactly. So go to school, go learn, and maybe if you do good, Anna will let us get ice cream later." I said brightly. She grinned at me.

"Okay!" she shot to her feet and put her picture in her backpack, putting all of her crayons in her crayon box.

I stood up and headed over to Anna, greeting her with a morning hug. "How are you?" I asked, smiling warmly.

"I'll feel much better once she's at school," Anna said with a laugh.

"Bye Taylor!" Emmy ran over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist. I picked her up and spun her around, eliciting a giggle from the girl.

"Bye Emmy, have a good day at school!" I waved from the back porch as Anna walked with Emmy back towards the pack house.

I scented Evan just moments before he wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his chin in the crook of my neck, peppering kisses on my exposed skin.

I leaned back into him, closing my eyes.

"That'll be you with our kids." he said suddenly. My eyes shot open.