CHAPTER SEVEN

S A V A N N A H     P O V

The week had been full of uncertainty and with anticipation. The day had come to meet with Josh's lawyers at his office. It's their way of intimidating me into submission, part of me wanted to but the other part wants to take a chance which is making me tremble with fear. I just keep asking myself, what if?. I stood in the lobby of their office building waiting for the elevator to open. 

My thoughts overtaking what is going on in front of me, I must have missed stepping into the elevator three times while I stood pondering with my thoughts about Kenna. I finally step in, then watch as the numbers slowly got higher. I am nervous, trembling with fear, hoping Cole would not be here. My hand lightly touched my cheek. The doors open, I took a deep breath before stepping out of the elevator. 

My entire body had a cold shiver that gave me Goosebumps. I walked towards the main conference room, watched everyone stop to stare at me. They all looked shocked to see me again, some of them whisper I carried on. My feet moving at a steady pace, the room getting closer with every step I took. I reached the door knock then Josh opens it I walk in to sit opposite them at the enormous conference table. 

They all looked at me then the door expecting someone else to walk in too. Josh looks at his team of lawyers he nods they start looking at the paperwork that is placed in front of them. I sit with my hands on my lap. "This meeting is to discuss the best interest of Kenna Kennedy". One of the lawyers says. I sit place my hands upon the table.

"Hang on a minute, who told you her name?". I am just a little baffled to what name they called her by.

"My client". The lawyer replies he looks at Joshua.

"My daughter is not known by that name nor will she ever be known as a Kennedy. If you look at her birth certificate you will see that she is registered has Kenna Rose Joplin so, I would say this meeting is over with. Everything you have in that paperwork is now voided". I smiled to myself. Josh leans to one of the lawyers whispering. He then lifts his head glances at me.

"My client apologises for this mix up; we will put it right. This meeting is to discuss Mr Cole Kennedy's parental rights who so wish for Mr Joshua Kennedy to take on full responsibility has the child second guardian. My client would also like visiting rights just like her father would". The lawyer says.

"So, what you are telling me is that Mr Joshua Kennedy is now taking on the father role with all the responsibilities of what a father should do?". The lawyer just nods then Josh clears his throat he gazes at me with a smile.

"We both know that Cole will never be a father to any child". His soft gentle voice is the one he would use whenever I had to see him in his office. "All I ask is that you give me a chance? ". He clasps his fingers while resting his hands on the table.

"What happens when you finally have children of your own?". My eyes stare into his he turns to his lawyer's whispers to them they all stand up then leave. I have no idea what is happening or what he said to them to leave. He stands to walk around the table then sits next to me. I lean back in my seat with folded arms.

"Savannah, you of all people know what it is like to have a child that you love so, much you are willing to do anything to keep them safe". I nod. "I am not doing this for hate or any other reason other than Cole is a fool to giving up something as precious as his daughter. I did have my chance once but, it got ripped away from me in a matter of minutes. My wife and son had been in the same car with my parents when they were travelling home from a school function. I had been out of town on a business trip. My dad was driving when the lorry in front of him stopped suddenly then it jack-knifed. My father did manage to stop the car but did not see the other lorry coming at them fast from behind. They all died on impact. I was at the time getting ready to do a speech about how the company thrives on family. My brother Gable phoned me to tell me the devastating news. I flew back soon as I could". He leans back in his chair pinches the bridge of his nose then looks back at me. "My son died at the age of one along with my wife who was carrying my second child. I don't like to talk about it or brag. I know it happened a few years ago but, I was young I faced my responsibilities this is what makes me angry about Cole. He has a chance to be a father but, he says he is too young. I was seventeen when my son was born, I was eighteen when I lost it all". He stands steps to the window to look up at the sky. His body looked relaxed from telling me what had happened. I did feel sorry for him for losing everyone that he loved in just a split second.

"Mr Kennedy". My voice is a little shaky from him telling me about his son.

"Savannah, please call me josh". He smiles sits back down. I take a deep breath.

"I will give you a chance. All I ask is that Cole stays away from me and if he's signing his rights over to you, he has no say whatsoever. Kenna is the one I am protecting. You can see her twice a week that is what I am offering". He leans over the table grabs a piece of paper and pick up the pen. He starts to write on the paper then passes it to me.

"This will be a binding contract between the two of us with your demands". He smiles then signs he passes me the pen I read over it then sign. He calls his lawyers in to sign on the piece of paper now it is official he must abide by my offer. "I will be over tomorrow to see Kenna". I nod. Stand to push my chair back under the table walk to the door.

"Josh, I am sorry for what you have gone through". I turn then walk out the door. I couldn't wait to be out of there I just wanted to scream to vent my anger for what Cole had put us through. Knowing that Josh lost so, much is an eye-opener. I understand why he wants to see his niece well, I hope I understand. For what he had gone through all at once is something I could not imagine. 

Picked Kenna up from nursery then we walked to the park so, she could play for a while. I had so, many things to do when I get home. I should really start decorating her room, it's going to take me a little time with the new job I have as an assistant in a clothing store. It's only part-time so, I have funds coming in to pay my bills that are mounting up slowly. I always made sure our bills are paid and plenty of food for Kenna. I watched her play. She always as a smile on her face which melts your heart. When she had enough, we walked home dodging the small cracks in the pavement. She laughed as we took big strides to miss the small cracks.

"Mummy. It's a snake". I jump away from the small twig that had fallen on the floor from the trees that lined the street. She starts to laugh at me. I cuddled her then we reach our house. I made her a quick snack then she wanted to help me with her room. I found some old clothes for her gave her a small paintbrush I picked up the roller and we started to paint her wall. We had fun getting paint everywhere but, not much on the wall well she didn't get much on the wall. A little while later we cleaned up then had dinner. Chanel walked through the door just as we are sitting down.

"Savannah, I have a hot date tonight so, I am going to get ready then go". I creased my brows she hums then walks to her room. I just snickered then eat my dinner. I had cleaned up the kitchen then bathed Kenna ready for bed. I had just laid her on her bed to kiss her goodnight she cups my cheeks.

"I love you, mummy". My heart went into my throat my lip quivered then tears formed in my eyes.

"I know you do baby. I love you too". I kiss her cheek she rolls on to her side I pull the quilt over her then gently rest my hand on her head to smooth her long auburn hair from her face. My entire body is consumed by her gentle voice. I turned the light out walked to the kitchen to have a cup of tea. Sit in the lounge turn the TV off just looking around at all the toys Kenna has. 

She most certainly had a lot of toys that I need to try to put in her room. I looked at the toys her Uncles had got her. Cole did make an effort he got her a baby born doll that she loves, Gable got a large stuffed unicorn that she sits on when she plays with her doll. Pierce had gotten her a collection of books that she loves to look at plus have me read to her. Joshua got a princess house that she could play in, it is more like a Wendy house. 

Finished my tea washed up my cup then had a shower. I looked in the mirror to see the bruise is slowly fading. Slipped into bed turned the lamp out. I laid with my eyes closed thinking about what the next day would bring. Joshua is coming over to see Kenna. I know that Kenna likes seeing him. I rolled to my side to fall asleep.

*********************************************************

Hope you like this chapter???

Would like to read your comments

Thank you