Chapter 3: Study Buddies

Authors Note: This is Bubble Buddies but written different.

3rd Person P.O.V.

Steven was taking a walk. He enjoyed walking around the town so he can get his mind off things. He passed by the Big Donut and waved at Sadie and Lars.

Sadie waved back and Lars just shrugged his shoulders. Steven was aimlessly to see what he can find in a small town like this. Nothing so far but he eventually found a girl he had seen before.

He doesn't know her name but she did lose a glowstick ring at the town fair and he never got to return it to her. He actually still has it in his pocket.

(Steven) Excuse me, ma'am?

(Connie) Huh? Oh, hello.

(Steven) I've been meaning to return this to you.

He have her the glowstick ring.

(Connie) Where'd you find it?

(Steven) You dropped it and I picked it up. I never was able to get to you before you left.

(Connie) Thanks.

She grabbed it and put it in her pocket.

(Steven) Whats your name? If you don't mind me asking.

(Connie) Connie.

(Steven) Nice name. My name is Steven.

(Connie) Nice to meet you.

(Steven) What are you doing out here?

(Connie) I was told to study but I wanted to go outside so my mom said I can study outside.

(Steven) What are you studying for?

(Connie) For a math test. I only need to work on a couple of things but I'm sure you won't be interested in helping me.

(Steven) Depends on what it is.

(Connie) Take a look at this.

She showed him an equation that she was trying to complete.

"Evaluate the equation. 2 + 4(6 - 2) ÷ 2"

(Connie) I keep getting the answer 12 but my teacher says its wrong.

Steven did the problem in his head and discovered how she got 12.

(Steven) I know how you keep getting 12.

(Connie) How?

(Steven) You only multiplied the 4 and 6 but never the 2 inside the parenthesis. You multiple both numbers inside the parenthesis to get the correct answer.

She did it the way he told her to do it and got 9 instead of 12.

(Connie) Wow. I never knew that I had to do that. Can you help me with some more?

(Steven) Sure.

She showed him another problem.

"20 - 2x = 10. What is the value of X?"

(Steven) You take the 20 and subtract it by 20 and you do the same for the 10. Then, whats left is -2x and -10. In order to find what X means, you divide it by the number its next to in order to have just the X and you do the same to the other number. So you divide -2x by -2 which will equal X. -10 divided by -2 will equal 5. All you have to do then is write "X = 5".

(Connie) Wow, how do you know all of this?

(Steven) My dad used to be a mathlete in high school. He taught me a few things.