Spider-Man and Peter Parker

Summary: People ship Peter and Spidey. Peter loses faith in humanity.

▪▪▪▪▪

Peter really couldn't believe it.

People had started shipping him- with himself.

That wasn't even the worst part, no. The worst part was that no one had discovered his identity.

Now, don't get him wrong, he was grateful, but please. His voice, his complexion, his personality, the fact that they had never even been seen together.

Over half a billion followers. And no one had fucking figured it out.

Peter started to lose faith in humanity.

•××ו

"Hey, Peter!" Ned greeted as he arrived to Midtown High.

"Hi, Ned," Peter greeted back, smiling at his friend. They did their handshake before going inside.

As soon as they crossed the doors of the school, silence took over the hallway. Peter sighed; this had been going on for a week now, since the Instagram live.

A faint murmur spread through the place, and then the usual mob of students approached Peter.

"Peter, do you know Tony Stark? He's Spidey's dad, after all," someone said.

"What is it like being best friends with Spider-Man?" one asked, pushing his way to the front.

"Peter, Spider-Man's best friend? Are you insane? They're a couple!" another student confronted the last one.

A series of exclamations were heard as more and more people crowded Peter and discussed the ship between themselves.

"They're so obviously dating!" a random boy said.

"Tony Stark said they were friends!" a cheerleader entered the conversation.

"It was sarcasm, you idiot!" the boy protested.

"Didn't you see Spidey's face when Tony said that? He was horrified." The cheerleader stayed firm.

"No, I didn't see his face, and you didn't either, since he wears a mask."

The discussion quickly escalated and mere seconds later, a group of over ten people were screaming at each other.

"Peter, Peter!" Someone poked his shoulder repeatedly. When he turned around, be found a girl with big glasses looking expectantly at him, taking profit of the fight to approach him unnoticed. "Could you present me to Spider-Man?" Peter stared at her, eyes filled with anxiety. The anxiety was because of the painful noise and the overwhelming situation, but the girl didn't know that as she hurried to explain. "I swear I'm not trying to steal your boyfriend, I just want to thank him for saving my cat!"

"I'll tell him." He closed his eyes. Everything was too much.

Peter escaped the situation.

•××ו

"Are you alright?" Ned asked during lunch. Peter was unusually silent, looking around nervously. The question shook the hero out of his trance.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine." He ran a hand through his face tiredly.

"No, you're not, Peter."

"No, I can't be with everything that's going on," Peter snapped but then realized his mistake. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it that way, it's not your fault. It's just that... the whole reason why I wanted my identity to stay a secret was because I didn't want to expose the people I care about to threats and I didn't want people getting on the way of Spider-Man to talk to me. Now both things are happening even without my identity being exposed and I just don't know what to do." His explanation had become a rant, but it was cut short by an unknown boy approaching their table.

"Hi," the boy said as he sat down next to Peter. "I don't mean to be rude or intrusive but I wanted to know... are you really Spider-Man's boyfriend?"

Peter was tired and so, so done. "Yes, Spider-Man's my boyfriend." The sarcasm was evident on his voice, but the boy didn't seem to catch on as he looked at Peter with newfound curiosity.

"Really? And does Tony Stark approve?"

"Oh, yes, he adores me," Peter deadpanned. He stared at the boy. The boy stared back with wide eyes.

The boy stood up quickly and hurried back to his group of friends, who were watching from afar with not much discretion.

Peter furrowed his brows. The boy had believed him?

An idea started forming on his mind and, for the first time in a week, Peter smiled slightly while thinking of school the following day.

•××ו

When he crossed the front doors the next day, he was not only mentally prepared for what would come but also a little excited to put his plan into action.

When people approached him, he didn't turn back and run, instead, he waited for their questions to start. If the boy had taken him seriously, the rumors had surely reached everyone by then.

"When did you start dating?"

"Who asked who to be boyfriends?"

"Are you very close?"

"When did all this happen?"

No questions about whether or not they were a couple. Then the news had gotten to everyone already.

"If you ask one by one, I'll answer," Peter said. A surprised but pleased silence fell over the hallway for half a second, then hands shot up in the air. Peter chose a random girl.

"When you started dating, did you know he was Spider-Man?" she asked.

"When we started dating, he wasn't Spider-Man yet," he replied. Whispers crossed the crowd. No one knew anything about the super hero, so knowing that he hadn't had his powers all his life was new. Peter chose someone else, another girl.

"How did you find out he had acquired super powers, then?"

"He never told me, you know? He just refused to hug me for a week straight and I knew something was up. Turns out he didn't know how to control his strength and was afraid of hurting me, but I found out and helped him learn to handle his powers." The crowd cooed. Peter selected a boy next.

"How did Tony Stark react to your relationship?"

"Fun fact: I knew Tony before my boyfriend met him." The students looked at each other, dumbfounded. Peter continued, "The internship Ned told you about was actually real. I presented them. I knew Tony need help with some super hero stuff so I said 'Hey, what about Spider-Man?' and he was like 'What's up with Spider-Man?' and then I said 'You know he's my boyfriend, right?' and then he freaked out."

"And then he ended up adopting him?" a girl asked.

"Yes, that's my boyfriend's effect over people. No one can help adoring him. Tony also fell victim of his charm; not one week after I introduced them, Tony already had a room for him at the tower." Peter paused. "I can even say Tony would do anything my boyfriend asked him. I once saw him singing Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen because Spidey asked him to."

The crowd went crazy. Peter smirked.

Payback's a bitch.