Dad Mode

Summary: Tony's Dad Mode never fails when it comes to Peter, even though the boy is completely clueless about the nature of their relationship.

▪▪▪▪▪

Tony loved Peter like he was a son to him. In Tony's eyes, he was.

He loved him so, so much.

But Peter didn't know that.

(Or realize it, more accurately)
(Or let himself accept it was reciprocated, actually)

•××ו

PeterPeterPeterPeterPeterPeter

Tony's Dad Mode was going haywire. What was wrong? Did something happen? Was Peter injured?

The elevator on the lab opened and out came a crestfallen Peter.

Oh no, Peter was sad!

Tony's Dad Mode started screaming, banging pans against each other and blowing whistles inside his head.

"Hello, Mr. Stark." Gods, even Peter's voice sounded dejected!

What could he do? What could he do? Something, anything!

Peter sat down on the floor, resting his back against a desk scattered with screwdrivers, and sighed.

If he hadn't been so worried and busy panicking, Tony would have smiled a little at how bad his kid was hiding emotions.

His mind screamed at him once again, and Tony took a few steps forward towards the teen.

"Hey, kid. Everything alright?"

Tony went to put a hand on Peter's shoulder, just trying to be supportive and help his kid through anything he may need.

But Peter moved to the side before the hand could make contact.

"Oh, do you need a screwdriver? I'm sorry for getting in the way, sir."

Tony almost screamed.

•××ו

HurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurry

Tony's Dad Mode just wouldn't shut up. What was wrong now? Was Peter injured? Sad again? Was he alright?

Cue to internal screeching.

Something collided against the window. Spider-Man. A bloody Spider-Man.

Fuck.

Tony hurried to open it, the chaos in his mind clearing only to help Peter.

But the internal screeching didn't stop, nope.

"Holy shit, kid," Tony exclaimed as he helped Peter to the couch. "What happened?"

"Not my blood, don't worry." He then muttered, "I don't think it is," but Tony didn't hear him, so he relaxed.

"But my chest kinda hurts..." Peter added quietly. "Would you happen to have an aspirin, sir? If it isn't too much trouble."

FuckFuckFuck

"Friday," Tony instantly called out, "scan for injuries, honey."

There was a brief silence.

"Mr. Parker seems to have a fractured clavicle, rib, fibula, and phalanges, along with a dislocated shoulder and an ankle and wrist sprain."

Tony took in a sharp breath.

"Call every single doctor that's currently available. Say it's urgent."

Peter hurried to speak. "No, no, Mr. Stark! It isn't necessary! I'll be fine! You don't have to go through so much trouble for me!"

"But I want to." Tony really wanted to hug the battered boy, but he was afraid he might hurt him.

Peter looked down. "Thank you for caring, sir."

"Of course I care, kid." This child needed a hug. He needed one. He deserved one. Tony wanted to give him one.

"I'm really sorry for staining your couch, Mr. Stark," Peter said sadly then. "I'll make it up to you. I could-"

Tony closed his eyes in frustration.

"Ah-ah-ah, I'm gonna stop you right there," he interrupted him. "I don't care about any couch as long as you're taken care of."

Silence.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark," Peter finally said, genuinely. "You're a really good... uh... boss."

The doctors came rushing in and didn't leave a single second for the duo to speak.

Yep, Tony might have actually screamed in frustration. You'll never know.

•××ו

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL-

Tony had already learnt to listen to his Dad Mode, but the fact that it was so loud worried him.

A small smacking sound was heard. The billionaire turned only to find that the source of the noise was Peter, whose head had bumped against the metal desk he was working on when he fell asleep. The problem was that Peter was too tired. Tony relaxed.

"Pete?" No answer. "Kid?"

A little "Hm?" was the response he got this time.

Tony laughed lightly. Peter was just too adorable.

"Let's get you to your room, kid."

As the man helped him up, Peter rubbed his eye with the back of his hand. "I wouldn't want to intrude; I'll just... leave."

"You literally have a room here, you wouldn't be intruding. Never. Ever."

Peter was way too tired to process what was being said to him.

Slowly, Tony helped his kid through the hallway, stopping only when they were right outside a door with the label "My Son" in bright golden letters.

Peter turned to Tony with wide eyes.

.

"You have a son? That's nice! When can I meet him?"

Tony kept eye contact as he took a name plate out of nowhere that said "Peter" and stuck it to the door.

The teen looked up and saw his name, then sighed.

"Why is my name so common?"

Tony stared blankly. He took out yet another name plate that read "Parker" and stuck it below the others.

Peter looked at the door again, squinted, stayed quiet for some seconds and at the end said, "The name kinda sounds familiar."

Tony closed his eyes, screamed in silence, tugged at his hair, then stopped and turned to Peter.

This time, he was able to place a hand on the kid's shoulder without him moving for believing it wasn't intended.

"Kid," he started, "it's you."

.

"Who's 'You'?"

Tony hugged the precious, innocent bean.