Bullies

Summary: Spider-Man reveals at a press conference that he's in high school and that he's being bullied, hoping bullies all over New York would come to their senses.

TW: bullying.

▪▪▪▪▪

Press conferences with Spider-Man weren't a normal occurrence. For that, journalists jumping at the opportunity when they were told he would be there came as no surprise. It was, after all, the first time Spidey would be answering their questions.

The days preceding that of the press conference were spent writing down millions of questions by the journalists; it was just too big of an opportunity to miss. How could they waste the chance of asking anything to the newest addition to the Avengers?

And so the day finally arrived, and questions were asked left and right to all the the members of the team, but there was a noticeable inclination towards Spidey, asking him about his powers, and the challenges of being now a part of such and elite group.

And then that one question was asked that threw away every single plan any of the journalists had built.

"Is it difficult for you to have a double life? Or do people around you know?"

Spider-Man sat back in his chair and sighed.

"It's difficult. And it hurts, too," Spidey admitted. "Only my best friend, the person who raised me, Mr. Stark and his bodyguard know who I am, and this tends to... mess up any relationship I try to start with anyone. When my friends invite me somewhere, I can never go; what if someone died because I wanted to go to the cinema? I can't afford it. And whenever I do try and go out with them, something comes up and I disappear. It hurts them, and it hurts me." The journalists, writing everything down, nodded their heads in sympathy. "It also hurt the person who raised me; at one point, she thought I was doing drugs (by the way, kids, don't do drugs!) because I sneaked out every night and came back late. And my teachers... the don't know, so they give me so many assignments that I don't have ther time to do if I want to keep people alive and safe. But hey, that's high school for you!" he finished with fake cheerfulness.

He didn't notice the whole room freeze up.

Most of the Avengers interchanged confused and panicked glances. The journalists looked scandalized. No matter how many speculations and rumors going around there were about Spider-Man, no one had ever thought about the possibility of him being younger than college age. Black Widow was probably the only person not looking even remotely surprised.

Spider-Man sighed audibly. He crossed his arms and waited patiently for the shock and noise to die down.

It took fifteen minutes, but the moment eventually came.

"Any questions?" he asked calmly once they finally became quiet.

All hands shot up. He hesitated for a second before calling a random person.

"What school do you attend?"

Spidey didn't even blink as he turned to another person. It was already settled; everyone had signed papers saying they agreed not to ask any personal questions about him. That person was being simply disrespectful, and Tony had been clear when he told him to ignore those.

"How old are you?"

Spider-Man took one of his hands to his temple. "Does anyone here have a question that doesn't break the signed agreements?"

Half the hands slowly dropped. He called another person.

"Is there anything you can and want to tell us about your life as Spider-Man at school? Does it represent a challenge or an advantage? Or is it unimportant?"