thirty one

"Ok," I said with a smile as we entered the building. "I have to admit. This is a pretty good first date idea."

Sky smiled proudly at himself. "Good. You don't know how long it took me to find this place."

I laughed softly, shaking my head as the boy led us over to the skate rental counter. The girl, who was probably in her teen years, turned to face us, a look of boredom on her face. "Sizes?"

"Uh, ten for me." Sky said before looking down at me.

"Six?" I said. The girl just nodded and disappeared, coming back a moment later and setting the skates on the counters. "Wait, don't you have rehearsals soon?"

The boy shrugged. "At like three. Besides, it's not like I don't already know the stuff."

"You still need to practice."

"Kayla, I'll be there. It's still in four hours." He said, handing me my ice skates before taking his own.

It wasn't long after that the two of us were on the ice, joining the few people that were there and going around the rink, laughing and joking with one another as we did.

After only a few laps, I felt myself start to get winded, my chest hurting slightly as I tried to catch my breath. And Sky seemed to notice.

"Hey, you alright?" He asked, pulling me to the side so I could catch my breath.

I nodded, taking a couple deep breaths. "Yeah. Just out of shape, I suppose."

"Are you sure?" He seemed really concerned out me, his brows furrowed and his eyes widened slightly. "This has been happening a lot lately."

"Yeah. Yeah, it's fine." I said, dismissing it with a wave of my hand. "The doctors have been suspecting I've had asthma for years."

"As long as you're okay..."

I smiled at him. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Even though the smile on my face was genuine, my heart ached, filling with worry. What if this is what they've been expecting for years? What if it's finally happened?