hundred eighty six

"I missed you." I said softly, my check pressed again the soft fabric of my husband's shirt. He had flown in just this morning, and it was safe to say I never wanted him to leave. "So much."

"I miss you, too." The boy said softly, rubbing up and down my bare arm with his knuckles as his other hand tan through Milo's thick coat of fur; he seemed to have missed Sky just as much as I did.

"Don't leave me again."

My words caused the boy the chuckle lightly. "Says the one who urges me to stay on tour."

Putting on a playful smile, I sat up, resting a hand on the boy's chest. "And I do. It's just..." I looked down at my hand as it scrunched up a little bit of the white fabric it rested on. "It's just getting harder."

He seemed to know what I was talking about and sat up further against the headboard, resting his hand over mine, the metal of his wedding band feeling cool against my skin. "I can't even imagine." He said softly.

"A packet came in the mail the other day." I said, my eyes finally lifting up to meet those of my husband.

"What packet?"

"The packet."

It took a second before Sky's curious gaze softened and he looked down at the covers laying across our bed. "Advanced planning."

I nodded, not really knowing what else to say. I just watched as the boy fiddled around with his hands before his eyes lifted up to mine. As he did so, I felt my heart drop as the tears gathered in his eyes.

"Oh, bub." I said softly before moving to sit in the boy's lap, burying my head into his chest as he wrapped his arms around me, holding me close to him.

His body shook slightly as the tears rolled down his cheeks, landing gently on my head, but I didn't mind. At this moment, I just wanted to stay in my husband's arms and never leave.

"I love you, Kayla." He spoke after a while, his voice hoarse and breaking as another sob fought to come out. "So much more than you realize."

"I love you, too, Skybelle. I always have, and I always will."

And so, for the remainder of the night, we stayed in one another's arms, ignoring the world around us in our own little piece or paradise.