forty four

Sky and I sat patiently at a table in the mostly empty restaurant, our eyes scanning the menu as we waited for our friends to show up.

"Where are they?" The red haired boy asked nervously, checking the time on his phone. "They should've been here by now."

"I'm sure everything is just fine, Sky." I said, laying down my menu and resting a hand on top of his. The boy turned to look at me and I gave him a small smile. "They're probably just stuff in traffic. It's nothing to worry abo-"

My words were cut off by my boyfriend's phone ringing, Ben's number and contact photo popping up. Sky gave me an unamused look before he answered the call, holding the phone up to his ear.

"Ben, where the hall are you guys? We've been here for fifteen minutes." He said, his brows furrowed as he listened to the voice on the other end. I watched as he features visibly relaxed and turned to a look of worry. "Oh my god. Yeah, we'll...we'll meet you there."

The boy hung up the phone and quickly grab his jacket. I gave him a confused look, but started to gather my things.

"They got in a crash." My boyfriend said once we were out of the restaurant and heading towards the car Sky had rented. "They're both being transported but we have to go."

I quickly got in the car, not bothering to ask any more questions as Sky pulled out of the parking lot, going as quickly as he could to the hospital. The whole way there, I could see the nerves building inside him, eventually coming out as he started drumming his fingers against the gear shift.

Reaching forwards, I gently rested my hand on his, causing the boy to glance quickly at me before looking back at the road. "They're going to be alright, Sky."

"I know, it's just..." He sighed slowly. "I'm just worried."

"I know you are. I would be, too." I squeezed his hand a little harder. "But I'm here for you. You know that."

I saw as a small smile appeared on his face and his moved his hand to properly hold mine, not taking his eyes off the road. We stayed that way until the boy took the turn into the hospital parking lot. He quickly found a spot and turned off the car, not wasting any time in hoping out.

My door closed and I quickly caught up with my boyfriend, putting my hand in his as the two of us went into the hospital. Sky led the way over to the front desk, where an older woman sat behind a computer.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" The boy said polietly, causing the woman to look up and smile at the two of us.

"What can I help you two with?" She asked kindly.

"I just got a call. My friends were involved in an accident. Maybe...twenty minutes ago?"

The receptionist nodded slightly, turning towards the screen. "Names?"

"Benjamin Cook. And Taylor Sparks."

After hearing the names, the woman started typing away, not uttering a word as she looked at her screen. Sky squeezed my hand, causing me to do the same to comfort him. It was moments later that the woman looked up to the boy.

"Are you Skylar?" She asked, to which my boyfriend nodded. "Alright. They're on the third floor."

"Thank you." I said to the woman before Sky pulled me quickly towards the elevators. Once inside one, he pressed the button and waited impatiently for the doors to close. "Sky..."

My boyfriend looked over at me and I could finally see the fear and worry clear as day in his eyes, causing my heart to drop. Without a second thought, I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

I felt his arms wrap around my waist as he buried his face into the crook of my neck, letting out a shaky breath.

"They're going to be alright, baby." I soothed him, keeping my voice soft.

"I know." He said. "I know."