hundred forty two

"How are you feeling today, Kayla?" Dr. Crane's voice echoed over the other end of the phone, his tone soft as the sound of shuffling papers was heard in the background.

"I'm alright." I answered honestly, mixing my foot against the gravel.

I had been watching the boys' rehearsal when my phone started buzzing with a call from the man, prompting me to leave our the back door to get some privacy in the alley behind the theater.

"That's good to hear." The man's tone seemed genuinely glad, but he also seemed distracted by the task before him. "Any side effects? Dizziness, nausea, pain?"

"Uh," I said, subconsciously glancing behind me, despite me knowing there was no one around; the boys were all inside. "I have been a little sore in my chest. And I get lightheaded sometimes when I stand from sitting for a while."

"That is expected. Your body is trying to reserve its energy in getting rid of the, what it refers to as an infection, from your system."

There man was silent on the other end of the phone, only the sound of his papers being heard. If anything, it caused a stiff tension to come over the line.

"So, Kayla, you are currently on tour with your boyfriend. Is that correct?"

"Yeah, I'm traveling with my fiancé for his national tour." I said, crossing my arms nervously across my chest. "Sky, you met him when we can to pick up my chemo."

"Ah, yes, I remember him." Crane said fondly, causing a slight smile to appear on my face. The line was silent once more before the doctor let out a soft sigh. "Now, you had an appointment with Dr. Matinez yesterday, correct?"

"Yes, and I saw Dr. Jones when I was in New Jersey like you recommended. They both said they would send my test results straight to you."

"They did; I'm looking at them now."

"And?"

There was a pause. "It seems as though your levels have raised." He admitted in a sorry tone. "Comparing the week from when you weren't traveling constantly to the week you are, there is a raise of twelve percent in your levels. Which, in all honesty, Kayla, disturbs me."

"What do you mean?" By now, the nervousness was clear in my voice, but I didn't care.

"It just worries me to see how your levels will be next week. Or the week after. If they can raise twelve percent in a single week, what will a month do? Or two." Dr. Crane let out another long sigh. "I cannot tell you what to do, Kayla, but I do recommend that you return back home and stay stationary."

"Return back to Denver?"

"I'm sorry, but as your doctor, my health is my first concern. And if you choose the path of continuing the tour with your fiancé, I will be advised to change your estimated time span."

I could feel my eyes welling up with tears, causing me to choke down the large lump that lodged in my throat. "How..." I spoke, but cleared my throat as my voice cracked. "How long?"

"I'm afriad your five to eleven would be changed to two to four." He was silent for a moment as he must have heard me suck in a breath. "I'm so sorry, Kayla."

I bit my lip, trying to hold in the tears that fell down my cheeks. I knew what I had to do, but it would hurt. Not only me, but also Sky and all the boys. But it wasn't like it was forever goodbye.

"I can be back by next week." I spoke after a minute.

"I'll set up an appointment for you when you return. Once again, I'm sorry."

"Thank you, Dr. Crane." I said softly. "For everything."

Without allowing him time to reply, I hung up the phone and stuffed the device into my pocket. Now all I had to do was break the news to my fiancé...that I was leaving.