hundred sixty nine

Pʟᴀʏ ᴛʜᴇ sᴏɴɢ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʀᴇᴀᴅ.
Dᴏ ɪᴛ.
Dᴏ ɪᴛ ɴᴏᴡ.

Sky held my hands in his, our foreheads pressed together and wide smiles on our faces. We had just gotten back from the tree up in Chapel Hill, where we took some our wedding photos before I changed my skirt for the reception.

Now, the two of us stood by one another in front of the closed doors to the banquet hall, listening to the chatter of the guests inside as we held each other. A soft smile rested on my lips, the look unable to go away since we were pronounced husband and wife.

"I can't believe we're married," I whispered softly, brushing my nose against his.

His smile brightened slightly. "Mrs. Kayla Flaherty."

I giggled softly. "Mr. Skylar Flaherty."

Just as the boy was about to lean down and capture my lips again, an all too familiar voice rang out from inside the room. "Now, for the moment we've all be waiting for...Mr. and Mrs. Flaherty!"

The two of us locked our hands as the doors opened. The redhead led me in, the two of us doing a little groove to the music that played, as the guests clapped and cheered for us.

Just as we did in rehearsals, Sky led me immediately into the center of the dance floor as the upbeat music slowed down. My arms locked around his shoulders and his rested on my hips, the two of us swaying to the soft melody that now played.

Our first dance as a married couple.

I ignored the occasional shutter of a camera and just focused on the boy in front of me, who was looking right back with a bright smile. He leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to my lips before nuzzling up into the crook of my neck, pulling me closer to him.

Sooner than I would have liked, the song was over. But another played, allowing other guests to come out onto the floor. This one way a familiar one; one that I could hear the redhead occasionally strumming on his guitar.

"For worse of for better," Sky's voice sang quietly into my ear as he pressed the side of her face to mine. "Now till forever. I'll always remember you young."

I smiled and pulled away from him, pressing my lips to his once more. A few seconds later, I pulled away. "I love you."

"I love you, too, bub." He said. "So much."

"Excuse me," My new husband's voice rang out through the speakers as everyone settled back into their seats, including myself. Sky smiled at the crowd around him, all of whom now looked towards him. "I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for coming. I know it was a surprise for most of you."

His remark earned light laughter from the crowd, but everyone quieted down quickly and allowed the boy to continue on with his speech.

"I mean, I seen a lot of you at Christmas and I was very, very single. Now you're all sitting at my wedding, not even a year later. It's surprising." He laughed along with everyone else this time. "I know that grandma Dottie was shocked when she got the invite. 'Skylar, did you lie to me? You told me you weren't ready to get married yet? Who is she? When can I meet her?'."

The redhead's impression earned laughter from everyone, most especially from the family that was closest to Dottie, seeing as she gave the boy a playful glare.

"And it's true. I wasn't. But that's because I hadn't met the beautiful girl that I can now happily call my wife." Sky said, gesturing to me, causing my cheeks to go red. "But I can say that I have never been as happy as I am with her. When I'm with her, I can scream, I can yell, I can cry, and I can laugh and not be looked at any differently. Because, Kayla, you are my other half. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

"So, I'd like to make a toast to my gorgeous bride." The redhead said, raising his glass, along with everyone else in the room. "I promise to always care for you, uphold you, and treasure you for as long as long as I remain on this side of eternity."

I felt tears pricking my eyes as we all toasted and the boy made his way back to sit beside me. The two of us wasted no time in kissing the other, smiles gracing our faces.