fifty seven

"Thanks for coming with me." I said softly, keeping my eyes on the road as I drove through town, heading towards the hospital.

The redhead smiled and nodded. "I told you we would get through this together. And I meant it." The boy reached over and grabbed my hand in his, holding it gently. His brows furrowed slightly. "You're shaking, bub."

I gulped. "I am pretty nervous."

"It'll be alright. I promise you it will." He gave my hand a small squeeze before turning his attention back to the road.

We were only in the car for a few more minutes before I pulled into a parking spot outside of the hospital. As I cut the engine, I felt my heart beating in my chest. All this week, I was telling myself it's all just a dream, but this is reality. I just never wanted to admit it.

"Hey, Kayla." Sky said softly from next to me. "Look at me." As I turned my head and my eyes met his, I felt some of my anxiety fade away. "It's going to be okay. You're going to get through this, and I will be with you every single step." I stayed silent. "Do you trust me?"

I nodded, the corners of my mouth twitching upwards. "Always."

With that said, the two of us got out of the car and headed inside the building, my hand tightly gripping onto my boyfriend's.

•~•

"What are you talking about? You look adorable." Sky said as he glanced over at me before back at the road. After we got done at the hospital, the boy insisted that he drive, saying he's got a surprise for me.

I looked at him in disbelief, though a small smile played on my lips. Currently, I was wearing nasal cannula, the oxygen sitting by my feet. "Really?"

"Yeah. It's a cute look for you." He said before pulling up next to the curb and putting the car in park and cutting the engine. "We're here."

I looked out the window and furrowed my brows. We were currently parked in front of the theater. "What are we doing here?" I asked, turning my head only to see the redhead closing the driver's door.

He appeared a second later at my side and opened up my door, smiling. "I told you it was a surprise." He said as he held his hand out, helping me out of the car.

Once I was out, he grabbed the floral backpack (which was a present from my mom) that held my oxygen concentrator. After helping me put the pack on, he took my hand and led me up to the stage door.

"Now, you trust me, right?" The boy asked as we got inside, turning around to look at me. I nodded and the boy moved around to stand behind me, covering his hands over my eyes.

"Sky." I whined as he started to lead me forwards.

"Hush." He said, though I could hear the smile in his voice.

A few moments later, he stopped me and removed his hands. When my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw the entire Newsies cast and crew standing on the stage in front of me. "Surprise!" They all shouted.

I couldn't help the small giggle that passed through my lips. "What is all of this?"

"Sky planned it." Dallas said as he stepped forwards, my other childhood friends beside him. The brunette boy wrapped me in a gentle and awkward hug, no thanks to my backpack. "You got a keeper right there."

I looked over my shoulder at the redhead, who was smiling back at me. "Yeah. I do."