Chapter 1

Evette's POV

My name is Evette Graves and I'm nineteen years old. Let me tell you about myself first.

My birth mom died when I was five and my dad raised me alone. My dad remarried a lovely woman named Jennifer when I was nine and I always knew she wasn't my mom. But she tried her best to be a good mom for me, she made me feel like I had a mother. The first few years with my "mom" was better than I could ever wished for.

But when I was fifteen, I was diagnosed with laryngeal cancer. I went through a major operation, the doctor said that was the only cure apart from chemo treatment. But the costs of my treatment was higher than we expected, my dad's salary was not enough to pay for my treatment, he even took a loan. My family went through a hard time economically, emotionally and mentally.

My "mom" started to complain about how I wasted my dad's money, they even got into fights several times. When I turned sixteen, my parents got divorced. Dad said she was cheating on him, I truly believ4e that mom cheated on him because dad had no money because of me. So basically, my parents got divorced because of me.

It was just me and my dad again, just like old times. At least it seemed to be. I knew there's something missing from our lives. Dad lost the woman he loves apart from mom, and I lost a mother that I never wished for.

Dad tried his best to make me feel special. He said," You are the last piece of your mom I have and I love you to death. Daddy's gonna protect you no matter what."

But I felt like I was just a disappointment to him. I could not go to school anymore, I would never get a job and pay back my dad. I was just wasting his money and time. What if I never survive? What if I die? What if my dad spend his life all alone? I loved my "mom" so much but I knew dad loved her so much more than I do. And then she dumped him because of me. I was in a bad and dark place mentally. My best friend Riley was always there for me but I felt like I was making her deal with problems that wasn't even her own when she had her own issues to deal with. She was being the best friend one could ever asked for but I felt like I was just a burden to her.

One day, when me and Riley was chilling in my room, Ri showed me a song called "Idon'twannabeyouanymore" by Billie Eilish. She chimmed "Dude, listen, this is a masterpiece". I listened to it, and yeah, she was right. It was beautiful, more than beautiful. That song was trying to tell me something,

My whole life projected itself before me as I listened to the song. I convinced myself to feel unwanted by the people who really loved me. I was such a fool to ever convince myself that I was just a disappointment. And the beautiful artist, Billie Eilish had a hold on me ever since.

When I turned seventeen, mom and dad got back together again. I started to recover from my illness and life was started to bloom for me again.

-------------------------------------------

Well, hi guys! If you're reading this, thank you so much for that. This is my first book and I'm so nervous. English is not my first language, I know I'm bad at it so bear with me.
See ya!