chapter five

|if you were my little girl... i love that you got daddy issues|

 i love that you got daddy issues|

ch. 5

daddy issues

"Naruto," Shikamaru called out, retreating to the locker rooms with the rest of the guys. The brunette stayed back, dragging Naruto behind the others as well. "How's your dad doing?" Shikamaru questioned, fidgeting with his lighter in his pocket.

Their training session was cut short due to a few upperclassmen wanting the ring that Team 7 and 8 were using. The complied, thanks to (y/n). She advised them to go inside to the weight-lifting rooms so that's what they did. However, she didn't walk with them, telling the two teams that she would catch up with them later. If Shikamaru had to guess, he assumed that she was going to see the Akatsuki to try and patch things up.

He was wrong. Unknowingly, the girl was just outside Minato-Sensei's window, training as hard as ever. Everyone told her that she had a lot of potential chakra that was going to waste since she never uses Ninjutsu or Genjutsu. It's not like she doesn't want to, it's that she doesn't know how to externally use it-- at least, in a way that benefits her.

No matter how hard she tries, every jutsu she casts ends up blowing up in her face. Honestly, (y/n) had no idea how she managed to pass the Genin test since her clones were always so wonky-looking. They often looked like an five-foot, drunk fetus and they were in no way useful.

She blamed her lack in Ninjutsu skills on her father, a man who neglected her since she could remember. According to her mother, he was a skilled shinobi in all aspects of Ninja Arts; Taijutsu, Genjutsu, Ninjutsu, you name it! He was a talented man but arrogant and prideful as well. He was well-known in all the major cities. Coming from nothing, it naturally went to his head. The result: cheating on his pregnant wife with a young woman.

He ended up eloping. (y/n) hears his name on the radio from time to time because, somehow, he covered up his affairs from the press. No matter, he was nothing but lowly gravel to her. (y/n) may not want to become hokage or famous for her skills, but she does have a goal that she needs to achieve before she dies. (y/n) is going to find her father and beat him to a pulp-- for her and her mother.

Just the thought of her father riled (y/n) up. First, if she wants a fighting chance, she has to learn how to use Ninjutsu. If he were here, he could've taught me how to do all of this, the girl thought, clenching her fists. Now I have to figure it out by myself, she thought.

At the beginning of the year, students were required to fill out a form regarding all their personal information: address, parent's contact information, and health issues (both mental and physical). It also asked about her ninja skills. What does she specialize in? What is her fighting style? What is her chakra nature? Usually, at this age, most kids already knew what chakra nature they wielded. (y/n) was the minority in this sense. Her mother wasn't well-educated in the world of Shinobi, so she didn't know how raise one either.

After finding out she had three chakra natures, (y/n) was ecstatic. She didn't know anyone else with three chakra natures, and she felt different-- but in a good way. (y/n) expected one of the experienced Shinobi to help her bloom into a Ninjutsu-using butt kicker, but that expectation was never met. She was the talk of the town for a day, then everyone went on with their lives, leaving her to dwell all by herself.

Realizing no one was going to help her, though she had asked many, she decided to start her independent training. (y/n) was only ten at the time, but kids her age and younger were already learning jutsus with their fathers. She learned hand signs from the academy and a few minor, simple jutsus. The summer day passed, the clouds drifting away and purple and orange clashed among the sky. Little (y/n) failed to make any sort of result that day, only leading to exhaustion.

She studied vigorously, trying to find out why she was so different. (y/n) never learned why, but the (h/c)-haired girl never gave up hope. At least once everyday, she tried to conjure up a jutsu. Time and time again she failed. (y/n) started to focus on something she was naturally gifted at: hand-to-hand combat. Her Genjutsu techniques sharpened into a fine kunai, but her Ninjutsu always remained dull.

Today was the day of change!

(y/n) was blessed with photographic memory, so remembering the jutsu hand signs wasn't challenging to her. Naming the hand signs in her head while she simultaneously did them was just habit for the girl. In front of a large boulder, (y/n) cried, "Earth Style: Raging Rock!" Nothing happened. She repeated the hand signs with more speed, then said in frustration, "Earth Style: Raging Rock!"

What was supposed to happen, according to Earth Justus for Dummies: A Step-by-Step Guide, was that the boulder was supposed to levitate and (y/n) would gain control of it, becoming a temporary Earthbender. Gosh, she needed to go outside more and stop watching Avatar. Using this jutsu, she should be able to hurl the large rock at an opponent with ease.

A few students that were training in the rings together tuned in on (y/n)'s troubles. She was on the outskirts, where the tall tree stumps were embedded in the earth; other nature-inspired training gear like small puddles as deep as tide pools and, of course, a few giant boulders lined the grounds.

"Earth Style: Raging Rock!" She spoke again, face scrunched in determination. With a small movement, the boulder turned. Eyes lighting up, she threw her hands in the air.

"Sorry about that, I didn't mean to move your rock," A faceless stranger said to (y/n).

"Huh?" She noticed the huge crater in ring that would've shaken the ground, moving the rock. In disappointment, she suppressed her excitement. "Don't worry about it," she sighed, her shoulders slumped. The person walked away, resuming the match they were in.

Looking at a pebble on the ground, she kicked it at the boulder. She accidentally kicked up dust towards her face, and the pebble on the ground ricocheted, hitting her on the forehead. She hissed, rubbing the sore spot.

"Need help?" A voice from behind her asked, a hint of amusement in their deep voice. Turning around, (y/n) meet the assertive, yet kind gaze of Minato-Sensei.

"Yes, please," She sighed, dropping her hand. Smiling in satisfaction, Minato-Sensei asked her what she needed. "I don't get Ninjutsu at all."

"That's can't be right. I always hear Orochimaru-Sensei tell Kabuto how well you did on Ninjutsu tests," Minato-Sensei said, stepping forward to get closer to (y/n).

"Those are written tests. I don't understand how to do them," She said, trying to clear up any confusion. It sounded so stupid once she said it out loud, so, if the Yellow Flash were to abandon her, she would understand.

"Well, let me see what I can do," He said, placing a gentle hand on (y/n)'s shoulder. She stared into his ocean blue eyes, her own (e/c) ones shining with admiration.

Biting her dry lip, she told him, "You don't have to."

"But I want you to succeed, (y/n)," He said, his hand now rubbing up and down her bicep. Is this, she began in her head, sparks of a bonfire starting up in the forest of (y/n)'s mind. Is this what love is?

Her hands grew sweaty and her lips were parted, letting out deep breaths as they stared in each others eyes. She had the urge to lean in and press a passionate kiss-

Something caught her eye. The sun reflected off of a band on Minato-Sensei's ring finger. Right, he was married.