chapter twenty three

|how can i ignore you? trust me, i adore you|

ch. 23

rekindled sparks

"As of last night, two people have been reported missing around the same time last night-" The news station on the television announced as (y/n) helped her mother with breakfast. She cracked eggs into a bowl, tossing the eggshells into the trash bin. "Though we have no evidence, we have reason to believe that the cases -because they coincide with each other- they are related to each other," An officer who was on the case spoke, a large microphone being shoved into his face.

"With the help of the Konoha, we may be able to find the whereabouts of the victims, Kush-" The white noise of the interview was interrupted by (y/n)'s mother. "-And-"

The woman asked, "Could you please grab me ham from the fridge once you're done with the eggs, dear?"

"Okay, mom."

"-Maru. They are the two missing, so if anyone out there has any information that could help, please report to-" Her mother switched the channel to a Korean drama that was being aired.

"I used to date pretty boys like them all the time, did you know that?" Her mother swooned, remembering her youth. "I think it's time for you to find some pretty boys too."

"Like who? There are none," (y/n) chuckled, though her heart clenched and her throat dried slightly.

Tapping her chin, the (h/c)-ette's mother pretended to think. "What about the Hokage's boy? Naruto, was that his name? Ooo, or any of the Uchiha's! I would love to have a cute Uchiha grand-baby running around the house! Hyuga's are good-looking too! You love dogs, right? Maybe you would like a Inuzuka boy? Hell, even those exchange students are pretty handsome, no?"

"Mom," (y/n) called out, trying to stop her rambling. She used a wooden spoon to stir the contents inside the hot pan, careful not to burn anything. Her mother, kind of like (y/n) herself, was a hopeless romantic, often finding her mind wandering whenever a powerful, gorgeous men was in her line of view. However, the passion inside of her eyes and the light tone of her voice made (y/n) feel curious about her past with her useless father; was her mother always like this when he was around?

To think, there was a time where her mother wasn't tired or forcing a smile on her face. It seemed almost unrealistic to (y/n).

"Can you imagine how adorable it would be if you married one of the exchange students? We should host a few, yeah? No, that won't work," Her mother muttered under her breath. At this point, she was simply talking to herself. She sat on a stool that was tucked underneath the kitchen island. Her face was cupped by her own palms as she continued talking about possible lovers for her daughter.

While she was talking about boys, (y/n) chopped the honey-glazed ham into bite-sized squares. She held the cutting board above the pan, pushing the meat into it and hearing the immediate sizzle was like music to her ears. "Mom."