chapter eighteen

|darling, i'm right here|

ch. 18

friend turned foe

With a blank stare, Minato stayed quiet, waiting for Shikamaru to continue his threatening monologue. "And I won't hesitate to tell the media," He continued, matching Minato's intimidating aura. Though Minato was oddly silent, he wasn't at all scared. He took his threats with a grain of salt, letting them roll off his shoulder. Minato already had enough food on his plate as it is, he wasn't going to let Shikamaru add to that.

"What a bold accusation," Minato said tonelessly. "However, if you don't have any evidence, nobody will believe you."

"I think it's too soon to call any shots," Shikamaru replied with a stone-cold expression. It was like they were playing a game of poker with their reputation on the line. However, the cards weren't in Shikamaru's favor and the odds turned against him; he was bluffing

"Then tell me why you believe I'm not being loyal to my wife?" The closest thing he had to evidence was sloppy photos of Minato's and (y/n)'s encounters. They were blurry, tilted, and shaky so convincing rebuttals would steer anyone off the case; Shikamaru could hear it now. The Yellow Flash's mocking phrases, "You can't even see that," and, "Are you sure that's me?" The lack of quality proved to be a big problem, as the charcoal-eyed boy expected.

He didn't plan for Minato to catch him this early in his investigation. There was no way Shikamaru could avoid being caught, seeing as his culprit is allegedly the next Hokage. But he expected to have solid evidence when Minato eventually caught him so he could blackmail him. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

"Why are you searching up cabins in the woods? And why is the ANBU Black Ops official contact page bookmarked on your browser?" The boy asked, dodging the question.

Minato felt his blood boil even higher than before, hating the fact that someone invaded his privacy. "I wanted to go on vacation with my significant other, and, as for the ANBU website, I don't need to explain myself to you."

"Significant other?" He asked in an accusing tone. It was like Shikamaru turned into a lawyer, questioning anything Minato said.

"Yes, now if you need to leave before I get angry," Minato told him.

"Is that a threat?"

"Yes." B*tch.

THE NEXT DAY:

(y/n) scolded herself all night. Minato never met up with her inside the empty classroom that day. Were her flirty approaches too childish for a man like him? Did he finally realize that his wife is so much better, (y/n) asked herself, the feeling of stinging numbness washing over her whenever those thoughts crossed her mind. She figured that karma would catch up with her; it was her mistake fooling with a married man.

Her emotions were wrecked, strewn across the bitter harshness of unforgiving guilt. Infidelity was a curse, that was something she should know. Her devilish counterpart must've blinded her consciousness, the need of an older man seemed like the only way to fill the lightless void grounded in her fragile heart.

Soon enough, the break of dawn spilled into her quiet room, gradually getting brighter with every passing second. With her tangled hair sprawled on her pillows, she made no effort to move. (y/n) usually woke up fairly early to start training, but today, she wasn't in the mood. The option of moping around and staying in bed until the stars twinkled in the night sky seemed very like a path she wanted to go down.

(y/n)'s cellphone ringtone blared, shaking violently on her pale-wood bed stand. An automated voice droned out the upbeat song, saying, "Shika-boom-boom is calling."

In other circumstances, when her attitude was lifted, she would've bursted out laughing. (y/n) didn't find it amusing this morning. She would've answered immediately, excited that someone finally called her. However she let it ring, trying to ignore the call. What if it's important and he's in trouble, her anxious side screamed at her.

She rolled over, staring at the vibrating phone. Reluctantly, (y/n) picked up the call. If she ignored it for a minute longer, Shikamaru would've been directed to voicemail. "Hello?" Her groggy voice croaked.

"(y/n), listen to me," Shikamaru said, his usual, unbothered mannerisms replaced with urgency. "Wait, who are you with? Where are you?"

"I'm at my house by myself, what's wrong?" She asked, the suddenness with his call made her sit up, rushing to get ready. She was preparing for the worst, brushing her fingers through the knots in her ratty tresses.

"Minato-Sensei isn't with you, is he?" Her heart thumped against her chest.

"Why would he?"

"Because I know that you're having an affair with him," Shikamaru replied, cutting to the middleman.

"Wh-What the hell are you talking about, dummy!?" (y/n) uttered, brows furrowing with puzzlement.

"You and Minato-Sensei are seeing each other behind closed doors," Shikamaru re-stated, his tone unwavering, meaning he was sure of their relationship.

"Do you hear yourself, Shikamaru? You sound crazy! He's married, my teacher, and 32 years old!" (y/n) informed him, continuing to cover up for herself and her lover.

"It's a shame," Shikamaru started, turning sinister in (y/n)'s eyes. "I hope nobody finds out."

It was unlike him to taunt others like that. "W-We're not seeing each other." A fact everyone knew about (y/n) was that she's a terrible liar. She found it difficult to lie to people she cared about, making her a model student, daughter, and friend. For missions, she could play a role to wring information out of nameless strangers, but her respectable peers always caught on to her fibs and dishonesty. Of course, her lies were white, saying that she enjoyed certain things when -in reality- she had no idea what they were referring to and so on so forth.

"Prove it," He told her.

"How?"

"Stay away from him. Do not talk to him. Do not go into his office by yourself, even if he asks. Then, I'll believe you," Shikamaru instructed, menacing threats spewing from his mouth. She heard a puff then a deep inhale.

"Why don't you trust me?"

"If you don't do as I say, I won't hesitate to ruin yours and Minato-Sensei's reputation."

"You wouldn't dare," (y/n) gasped, confirming Shikamaru's hypothesis.

"If you want, you can ignore me. Just know that I can crumble your future while landing Minato-Sensei in the slammer, do you want that?"

"What happened to you? This isn't the Shikamaru I know."

"You must've never really knew me."

"Shikamaru," (y/n) called, her voice slightly breaking.

"Yes?"

"Never call me." The line was cut. Perhaps the Akatsuki was right, the Konoha shinobi were not meant to be trusted, (y/n) concluded, wiping away any stray tears.

ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ' ɴᴏᴛᴇ
does anyone still read this story orrrr??