chapter six

|age ain't nothing but a number|

ch. 6

realization in both parties

Staring into (y/n)'s eyes while having her full attention was like heaven on earth. Minato-Sensei was in pure bliss; after all, this is what he's been yearning for ever since his -so called- love started. He knew she felt the same, her expression says it all.

Then, he saw (y/n)'s eyes avert themselves onto his hand, on his wedding ring. Her tense shoulders dropped and her face screamed heartbreak. Spinning the band with his thumb, he wanted to break it and bury it deep beneath the earth. 

Wedding rings mean that you're tied down to someone that you will love forever. It was a lie; Minato-Sensei's heart only beats for one person, and that person was not his wife or son. It was his angel, (y/n).

KONOHA ACADEMY: WEIGHT-LIFTING ROOM

"Why did you ask about my dad earlier?" Naruto asked, a towel draped over his broad shoulders. He sat up and his elbows rested on his knees. Naruto's hand propped up his face, looking up at Shikamaru. His blonde hair was damp from the fifty-rep bench press workout he just finished. His blue eyes bore into Shikamaru's dark ones, awaiting an answer. 

"You never answered," Shikamaru pointed out. He needed to know if Naruto knew about Minato-Sensei staring at (y/n). There was a possibility that Shikamaru was hallucinating, but he doubted that. He wasn't one to fall for Genjutsu that easily. 

"Well my dad is fine, if you really want to know," Naruto said, re-racking the two dumbbells he was pumping. "Why?"

Shikamaru avoided his question, asking Naruto, "Have you noticed anything-" He dragged the last syllable as a way of him trying to find the right words that won't offend Naruto but get his point across. "-strange with him?" 

"In what way? My dad's always been a little weird," Naruto said, wiping the sweat off of his forehead with the back of his hand. He threw a medicine ball up into the air, then he continued, "My mom has always been the weird one in the relationship."

Shikamaru, who was doing chin-ups, began to doubt what he saw. It was no secret that Minato-Sensei and Kushina were madly in love. It was well-known around the town; they often role models for young couples around Konoha Academy. 

Because he treats his wife with such respect -and because no teenage boys acknowledge respecting women isn't a sign of weakness- Minato-Sensei has become the hot teacher. The blonde was often admired by students that had obvious daddy issues; sadly, that was the majority of the female population at school. 

Sometimes, Shikamaru noticed how much the student body talked about Minato-Sensei-- especially when Naruto walks by. Naruto had a stable social standing, nothing like it was in the past though. Some girls would try to date him to get close to father, other girls despised Naruto because he could never be a good boyfriend like Minato-Sensei. It got on Shikamaru's nerves, and it wasn't even about him.