chapter twenty four

|i found out that everybody talks too much|

ch. 24

missing (y/n) and a missing ex-wife

It was a bright Friday afternoon, the perfect weather for outside training, in (y/n)'s opinion. If it was any other day, she would've been in a desk, paying attention to a prepared lesson about trigonometry or chakra control. However, Konoha Academy has excused its students from attending school that day due to the weighing stress of the upcoming Chunin Exams, as well as an underlying problem (y/n) didn't know about. Less than a month away, the exams were slowly closing in on (y/n), making her feel jittery and anxious for the major test. Every thought that entered her brain was circling around the possibilities of the exams; thoughts of doubt, failure, and utter humiliation plagued her dreams at night. She's lost track how many sleep-deprived nights she stayed awake thinking about the exams.

Currently, she was outside in her spacious backyard designed specifically for training purposes. Instead of fluffy grass and blooming tulips, the floor was dry dirt. Tree trunks stemmed upwards, the bark was chipping away from (y/n)'s kicks. Small bonsai bushes decorated the outskirts, pressed against the redwood fence. It was viewed as a traditional Japanese yard that Samurai's would have.

Her mother, from the comfort of the patio, watched the (h/c)-haired girl train, throwing kicks with the speed of a timid rabbit but ferocity of a hungry tiger. The sweat that coated her (s/c) skin glistened in the sun, a few thick drops trailing down her temple. Blasting from speakers (y/n) hooked up was her favorite radio station, Konoha's training radio. Rap, rock, and EDM played on shuffle, only being interrupted for a minute by advertisements.

"Mom, watch this!" (y/n) called, cupping her hands around her mouth to amplify her voice. The woman gave her daughter a thumbs up. (y/n) turned back towards the beaten-up stump that acted as her imaginary opponent.

"Earth Style: Rock Ray Jutsu!" She stepped forward, and the ground beneath her rattled. A single stream of small spikes rushed towards the target, growing bigger with each passing second. The spike that stabbed through the rotting wood of her opponent was as tall as her, if not taller by a few inches. It forced the stump out of the dirt, and suspended it in the air, dangling its decaying corpse impaled.

"You did it! You really did it!" Her mother cheered, uncontrollably bouncing up and down as she clapped her hands together. "Pardon my French, but I can't wait to see you kick a$s with that jutsu! My daughter's gonna be a legend!"

"M-Mom, I think you're getting ahead of yourself," (y/n) responded with a small blush of embarrassment coating her rosy cheeks, however, because of the intensity of her training session, her face was already red and hot.