chapter thirteen

|take me down into your paradise|

ch. 13

when worlds collide

"This is so stupid," Deidara and Hidan grumbled to (y/n). The blonde's hands sunk over his clay pouches whereas the Jashinist clutched the handle of his scythe. Kisame stood by (y/n) with his arms folded over his chest, his bandaged sword perched on his back. Konan was on the other side of the (h/c)-haired girl, nothing escaping her ember gaze. Pein lingered close to Konan, leaning against the brightly-colored, recoiled bleachers.

The flytrap-lookalike, Zetsu, drooled over the sight of the other class, half of him licking his lips. A loud grumble came from his stomach, and a few Minato's students face scrunched up in disgust and fear.

"Yeah," Suigetsu agreed, swinging his water bottle around. Orochimaru's class -all except (y/n)- glared at the others, who also returned the sour look.

Whispers and mutters insulting the ne'er-do-wells were being spewed by the conditioning class. They were talking quietly among themselves, looking at them then snickering. "Do you smell that, Hidan?" Deidara questioned, pointing his nose up then sniffing the air. He stepped out of the comfort of the crowd, closer to the "Hokage-stans."

The silver-haired man caught on and stood next to him, putting his hand on Deidara's shoulder. "Oh yeah, it smells terrible!" The conditioning class averted their attention to the pair. Kisame, who was usually level-headed and reserved, joined Deidara and Hidan, flashing his sharp teeth. He also sniffed the air, his beady eyes boring into one of the conditioning students.

"Not Kisame too," (y/n) sighed to Konan. She glanced up at Kisame's partner in crime, Itachi, in hopes that he'll stop the trio. However, instead of a disapproving look, Itachi had a smug smirk glued on his face.

Suigetsu also joined the trinity, a taunting look dancing in his violet eyes. "Oi! What're you going on about!" A popular second-year said sternly, but he was still cautious around the tall, intimidating boys.

Deidara let out a surprised, oh, as if realization hit him over the head. "I know what it is!"

"What is it?" Suigetsu questioned, acting clueless even though he knew where this was going. Unlike the conditioning class, Orochimaru's students had no problem slandering people they didn't like; in fact, they made sure the conditioning students could hear them loud and clear.

"It's the bullsh*t coming out of these losers mouths!" Hidan roared, making the others bend over with laugh-induced tears. The chakra-controlling class cheered them on with approving nods or stifled chortles.

(y/n) shifted uncomfortably but still found her Akatsuki friends funny. Orochimaru-Sensei, Kabuto, and Minato were only meters away from the two classes. She didn't want to seem like a bully in front of her blonde trainer. However, she wanted to join in on their contagious howls of laughter because she missed hanging out with Deidara, Hidan, and the others.

"You know what," The same boy from before walked towards Deidara with a puffed out chest. The long-haired boy's face dropped, standing straight to assert dominance.

"What?" He asked with a you-can't-even-dream-of-beating-me-in-a-fight tone.

"You and your f*cking friends aren't welcome here, you dirty lowlife!" Retorted the boy, steam practically coming out of his ears and nose.

Out of the entire class, the only people born and raised in Konoha was (y/n), Itachi, and Sasuke. The rest were far from home; due to their skills, Konoha Academy invited them to become exchange students. Konoha hoped that, by doing so, they would create stronger ties with the other cities around the world. They somehow managed to convince the head of the Hidden Rain city to transfer his son and his friend -Pein and Konan- to the elite institution.

Kakuzu, a boy coming from Takigakure, scowled. His grip on his money-filled briefcase tightened as he walked towards Deidara. Sasori, seeing the scene unfold, followed Kakuzu. It was like a pack of wolves standing against bear cub.

In a flash, Minato stepped between the snarling boys, diffusing the situation. Before Deidara went back to the other side of the gym, he shot Minato a glare and a scoff. It was displayed on Minato's symmetrical face that he was annoyed and trying to his it. (y/n) reached out and grabbed Deidara's wrist, tugging at his arm.

"Why'd you do that?"

Deidara pulled his arm away from her grip. "Whatever, I hate this city."

"Yeah," Said Suigetsu.

"Me too," Kisame cut in.

"I second that," Konan agreed.

"C'mon guys," (y/n) tried to keep the mood light. Their words tugged her heartstrings, and she'd had to admit it but Konoha had a tendency for making outsiders feel... well, like outsiders. Citizens would discriminate tourists or visitors, which was something the (h/c)-ette didn't stand for.

"Do you not see how they treat us, (y/n)!?" Hidan exclaimed, throwing his hands up. She felt bad and avoided eye contact. "It's as if we're godd*nm monsters! Like we're gravel compared to them."

"N-" (y/n) was interrupted by Itachi.

"It's true, it's one of the things I'm not particularly proud of. There's a reason why we don't hold Chunin exams in Konoha, (y/n)." He spoke down on her, acting like she was a child that needed to be taught a valuable lesson.

"I already know why, Itachi," She responded, stopping his lecture shamefully. "It's because of the people."

"Correct," Konan affirmed, blinking rapidly. It was clear to (y/n) that the blue-haired girl was about to cry.

"B-But I'm sure that things will change! I'll make sure of it!" She said with determination, trying to cheer them up. After all, the exchange students still had a year of high school then they had to go to University of Konoha, also known as UoK; it was in their contract.

Pein placed a hand on (y/n)'s shoulder to suppress her anger-fueled energy. "I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you."

"However, it's been like this since the city was established. It won't change overnight," Sasuke spoke up.

A new goal appeared in front of (y/n); wake up, Konoha.