chapter twenty

|can i lay by your side|

ch. 20

the day the bridge burned

Rushing out of Minato's office drowned in tears would most certainly catch the attention of concerned or confused students in the hall. (y/n) wanted to go unnoticed, but she could feel the stares of strangers boring into her back as she sped-walked away from Minato.

"Woah, (y/n), slow down!" Naruto stopped in front of her, his friends trailing behind him. "What's wrong?" He placed a hand on her shoulder. She shrugged away from Naruto's grasp. Instead of her friendly smile, she glared at his friend group, eyes landing on Shikamaru. He had a concerned look on his face, but (y/n) knew it had to be fake.

"Leave me alone, you brain-washed dimwits," She barked, furiously wiping away dried tears from her cheeks with the cuff of her school shirt. Both Sakura and Ino gasped in disbelief, wondering if they heard (y/n) right.

Naruto furrowed his brow, rubbing the back of his neck. "You were hanging around the Akatsuki, weren't you?"

"What's it to you? Stay out of my business!" She shouted, clenching her fists in a fit of rage.

"Seriously, (y/n), what happened?" Sakura questioned, reaching out to touch her. (y/n) slapped hand away from her.

"They were right about you guys. All of you are just selfish, stupid wannabe-Hokage who only think about themselves," (y/n) growled. This was all Shikamaru's fault, he unknowingly convinced her that the Akatsuki's points were valid. He turned her against him and all the other established teams.

Sakura retracted her hand, easing the sudden sting. "(y-y/n), c-calm down, please," Hinata stepped in, asking if the bubble gum-haired girl was okay afterwards. Meekly -which is something Sakura isn't exactly known for- she nodded her head.

"Don't tell me what to do, Hinata," She warned with flared nostrils, folding her arms underneath her bosom.

Agitated as ever, Kiba claimed, "Look, we're just trying to help you." A bark of agreement came from his partner-in-crime, Akamaru.

"I don't remember asking for your help, idiots," The normally-bubbly girl spoke through gritted teeth. "In fact, you're so ignorant that you'd just mess things up, dog breath." She aimed the insult at Kiba, filling her gun with bullets. Bang.

"Is that how you really feel?" Ino asked, trying to act angry at (y/n).

In response, she rolled her (e/c) eyes. "I knew you were slow but I didn't know that you're flat out dumb." Bang.