chapter nineteen

|i should be over all these butterflies, but i'm into you|

ch. 19

alexa, play my heartbreak playlist

The first thing (y/n) did when arriving at the institution was toil towards Minato's office. Not knowing what happened prior between him and Shikamaru, she stood outside the wooden door. Her knuckles were raised, prepared to knock on the thick surface, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Strings of sorrow pulled her back in attempts to spare her frail heart. Regardless of the selfish needs her persona subconsciously created, it was a fate she couldn't avoid.

Before she had the chance to tap on the door, Minato abruptly opened it with files almost spilling out of his hands. The sapphire eyes (y/n)'s grown to love lit up when seeing her, a detail she didn't miss. On other circumstances, she would've melted and greet him with a well-needed embrace. "Come in," He said in a hushed tone, preventing himself from stroking her (h/l) locks in the vision of the school's security cameras.

(y/n) begrudgingly followed him into the room, sitting in familiar chair. She came in her so often that she was surprised that the cushion didn't have her butt imprint. "What are you doing over there, sit with me," Minato chuckled, plopping himself on a small couch that lined the wall. She did as she was told with a bitten lip, but before she could sit next to him, he swiftly pulled her into his lap. He threw the files onto his desk, letting the contents spill across the desk.

Minato buried his face in the crook of her neck, one hand caressing her hip as the other propped her up. "God, you're so addicting, princess," He muttered against her skin, inhaling her scent. Constant pecks trailed her neck, leading to her clenched jawline.

Minato noticed her quiet demeanor, tense body, and watery (e/c) orbs, so he stopped his quick kisses and replaced it with a back rub. "What's wrong?" He asked, observing her as she refused to look at him.

"W-We can't," (y/n) started, her voice quivering and soft. It almost tore him to shreds, seeing her defeated and anxious.

"We can't what?" Questioned Minato, wanting her to elaborate though the back of his mind already knew what she was going to say.

She got up and re-placed herself beside the older man, lips compressed together. Her vocal chords tightened like a guitar string. "We can't keep d-doing this," She croaked, shutting her eyes so tears wouldn't spill out of them. (y/n)'s words scratched the back of her throat, pinching her airway until it she couldn't breath.

"Where is this coming from?" He was crushed under the uncalled weight of the air, it was a tense, thick smoke that made him feel ill.