chapter twenty five

|because every time we touch i get this feeling|

ch. 25

explanations regarding the past

"Why did she file divorce? Did she..." (y/n) was reluctant to ask. "Did she find out about you and I? I mean, what used to be us." It was a bittersweet because (y/n) didn't want him just to be someone she used to know.

Minato let out a chuckle that sounded too dry to be real. "No, she didn't. She has been distant lately so I assumed that she had an affair."

"How long has she been distant?"

"Two or three months? But then again, I remember throughout our relationship, she has had episodes were she's very affectionate one minute then acts like I'm the worst thing in her life the next."

"So I'm just your rebound?" (y/n) squeaked, her voice slightly breaking. He was the only man she has been comfortable with in a while, her fear of men seemed to dissipate into nothingness whenever she was with him. He made her feel protected, but now she believes that he felt nothing for her, that he was going to throw her away once he finds someone better.

He grabbed her fidgeting hands from her lap, cupping them in his own. "No, you're not. You're not some mistake, you're not a distraction, you are my one and only."

"How can you say that when you have a wife!"

"I never loved her, (y/n). Please believe me."

"Bullsh*t! If you didn't love her, then why did you marry her, huh? Answer me that!" (y/n)'s mind was in shambles, refusing the possibility that he truly wants her.

"(y/n), listen to me. I trust you with my life," Minato started, a flash of regret passing through his deep, cerulean eyes. "But I've done some things in my life that I am ashamed of. I'm telling you this because I love you. I love you so much that I feel guilty for hiding my past from you. I'm not expecting you to believe me or sympathize with me, but I beg that you hear me out."

She bit her lip, debating whether or not to listen to him. It would be rude not to, she could practically hear her mother's voice scolding her. "Fine, just," She paused. "Don't try and butter me up."

"Thank you," Minato responded, rubbing his thumb against her bruised knuckles. A silence followed, it was like he was trying to piece together his words. His Adam's Apple bobbed up while he swallowed a lump in his throat. "You may've heard that Kushina and I have been together since high school, which is true. Back then I was a stupid boy who got swept away when chasing popularity. Kushina was the prettiest girl in the entire school, and she just happened to take a liking to me."