CH.2 The Heywood

This chapter is for queendare_ 

thank you for everything

Chapter 2

"Do you remember what time your flight is?" Grace asked through the phone.

"Around 7 in the morning," Alec said as he held the phone between his ear and his shoulder. He plopped down on his bed and reached down to yank off his shoes.

"Do you have the files on the local packs?"

"Yeah, I think you emailed them to me before I left."

"Yes," Grace agreed. "I also attached a spreadsheet along with the documents. There is an Ipad in your bag. You will have to get the Alpha or the Beta of each pack to do the short survey for the palace. Also, Ms. Hunts and Mr. Heywood want you to join them for dinner at his family's house tomorrow night."

"What?" Alec asked annoyed. "Did you tell them I couldn't go?"

"Of course not, Alec," Alec could picture Grace rolling her eyes. "It is a great opportunity. The Heywood family holds a strong sway in the community."

"When will I ever need a sway in New Orleans?"

"You never know," Grace laughed. "Okay, I have to go now. I have to redo the reports and have them ready for you."

"Thank you, Grace." Alec always admired her work ethics. It was one of the first things that stood out to him when she had started to work under him as his secretary.

"Before you go," He stopped her before she hung up. "Is there something you want to say to me?"

"Um..." Grace thought for a second. "No, I think I covered everything on our meeting agenda."

"Alright," Alec couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed like a little child. "I'll talk to you when I land."

"Alright," Grace sighed. "Oh, Alec....by the way, there is something for you in your bag next to the ipad."

A small smile pulled across Alec's face as he turned to the bag on his desk. He walked over to it and dug through the clothes until his fingers found a box buried at the bottom.

The box was wrapped in silver paper with a blue ribbon.

"Should I open it now?" Alec asked.

"If you want to."

"Thank you, you shouldn't have."

"Happy birthday," Grace said quietly.

"Thank you." Alec placed the phone between his shoulder and ear once again as he unwrapped the box. He opened it slowly to find a silver watch.

"Do you like it?" Grace held her breath.

Alec didn't have the heart to tell her he had the same watch. It was the thought that counted. And she had gone through all the trouble to hide it in his bag.

"I love it," Alec said, pulling the watch out of the box. "Thank you, it's perfect."

"I knew you would like it," Grace laughed. "Okay, now i really have to go. Good night."

"Good night, Grace." Alec said as he heard the line go dead on the other end.

_____________________________

Alec told himself to have flowers sent to Grace for her brilliant planning skills. If it weren't for her, he would be cooking in his clothes in the hot New Orleans air. The light cotton shirts she had packed him were just right.