CH.32 Remember me

Chapter 32 (Listen to the cover of this song for the full effect of the chapter) 

Owen took a deep breath before he took a step into the room. His eyes immediately found Alec. He sat on the chair, just as Owen had left him, without blinking.

"Alec," Owen called to him.

There was no response.

"Alec?" Owen tried again.

Still no response.

Owen walked farther into the room. He stopped behind his little brother and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Alec?"

"Uh?" Alec finally looked up, slightly startled.

"The nurses are waiting," Owen motioned to the two woman standing in the room. "You have to move back now."

Owen spoke as gently as he could. Almost as if he was comforting one of his children. His heart broke as Alec's glazed eyes found their way back to reality. Owen watched with sorrow as his brother looked at the hand he was holding.

Eden's body laid still as a wax statue. Her hair was neatly combed and tucked under her head. Her rosy cheeks had vanished with the wind just as the sound of her laughter.

Alec sat holding her hand and gazing at her face. No matter how many times they had urged him, he wouldn't leave. The nurses waited for him to move back so they could transport the body to the morgue, but Alec didn't respond to their requests. After trying for almost an hour, they were forced to call in the Beta.

"They have to move Eden," Owen carefully pulled Alec back.

"Where?" Alec looked up in confusion. "Where are they taking her?"

Owen hesitated, "To...to the morgue. The funeral is in the morning."

Like lightning, the pain flashed in Alec's eyes. Owen could tell from the way he flinched that Alec's mind was trying to shield him from reality. He watched as Alec looked down at his hand again and stood up slowly.

Alec carefully placed Eden's hand over her chest and pushed back the few pieces of flyaway hairs by her eyes. He rubbed her cheek with his thumb before placing a kiss upon it.

"What are they going to do at the morgue?" He asked one of the nurses.

"They will clean the body," The woman said. "And dress her for tomorrow."

Alec nodded, taking a step back.

"She doesn't like cold water," he said as he tried to tuck her hair back again. "You have to tell them to use warm water only."

"I'll let them know," the nurse said.

Owen guided Alec back as the two women lifted the breaks of the hospital bed and began to wheel it out the door.

"Her skin bruises really easily," Alec said, turning to his brother. "They can't grab her hands or something, her skin will bruise."

Owen bit down on his jaw to keep himself from flinching from the pain. He patted Alec's shoulder and told him everything would be okay.

"I need to stay with her," Alec suddenly said. "I don't trust the people. I don't even know them."

"Alec," Owen stopped him. "You do know them. It's Mrs. Fern, remember?"

"I have to go with Eden," Alec tried to go after the nurses.

"No, Alec," Owen pulled him back.