CH.27 A Prince & His Princess

Chapter 27

The night before the ball, Alec and Eden sat on the floor in the middle of her room and stared at the dress that hung on the hanger.

It was a white tulle monster with a corset sweetheart neck. The glittering jewels on it caught the light and shimmered like stars.

"How do I sit down in that?" Eden asked with her head tilted.

"I don't think I've ever seen Mavi or Gemma sit in one of those," Alec said.

"Oh good god,"

"I thought you would like all this," Alec laughed. "The ball, the dresses, the dancing."

"It doesn't seem all that fun anymore," Eden shrugged.

"I'm sorry," Alec turned to look at her.

"Why are you sorry?" Eden laughed.

"I just think that if maybe we were different people, I would be the one taking you to the ball and you might actually be excited."

"Or maybe I just grew out of my little girl dreams and know there are more important things in life then balls and dancing."

"Those dreams make you who you are," Alec smiled. "I never want that to change."

"You used to think I was crazy," Eden stuck her tongue out at him making Alec laugh.

"I'm not going to lie," he said trying to keep his voice down. "I did think you were very strange. The first time I met you, you were searching for a husband. And a strict mother in law."

"I can compromise on the husband, but not on the mother in law," Eden said.

"I'm afraid I have bad news then," Alec chuckled.

"How so?"

"My mother is a sweetheart," Alec said. "She would never hurt a fly."

"Damn it," Eden shook her head. "How will I fight with her now?"

"Mackey and Clare already love her to death. I don't think it'll be any different with our ki-"

Both Alec and Eden froze as they realized which direction their conversation was headed. They sat on the floor with their backs against the bed in silence as they desperately tried to hold on to the tender moment a while longer before they had to let it go. The hope for the future that had begun to blossom in Alec's chest had to be suffocated and buried as he realized a future with Eden was more complicated than it seemed. Eden watched the turmoil in his green eyes as her own heart sank.

"Once upon a time...." Eden started slowly. "There was a girl who dreamed of a handsome prince coming and saving her."

Alec leaned his head back against the bed and looked at Eden, "The prince spent countless days and countless nights wishing upon shooting stars. All he ever wanted was to hold his princess."

"And then one day, they found each other," Eden leaned her head back too and looked up at the ceiling. She moved her fingers and the walls above dissolved into the night sky.

"But the prince was cursed," Alec said slowly. "He was forced to admire the princess through a looking glass."

"The princess knew the prince would do anything to be with her if he could so she waited," Eden turned to look at Alec. "And prayed for the day they would be together again."

"They waited and waited for the day the prince would pull his princess into his arms and kiss her in front of the world."

"But first," Eden smiled. "The princess needed to bring the princess the moon because she still hadn't forgiven him for yelling at her when they first met."