CH.34 Arden

Chapter 34

Owen took a deep breath before he stepped into Alec's office. It was difficult to see the hollowness in his green eyes. Owen wasn't sure he would ever get used to it. It had been two weeks since Eden's funeral and everyday Alec slipped farther and farther into darkness.

"Hey," Owen said as he entered.

Alec looked up and gave a nod, his face as expressionless as a statue.

"I just came from the hospital," Owen said quietly, careful with his word. "Rye wanted to discuss a treatment option for the baby."

Alec capped the pen he had been writing with and set it down in front of him. He laced his fingers together and looked up.

"He's doing better, but his weight is still down. His body temperature keeps dropping." Owen informed his brother.

"He's breathing on his, right?" Alec asked. His voice was void of any and all emotion.

"Yes," Owen nodded. "He's breathing."

Alec waited a second for his brother to continue. But when he didn't, Alec went back to his work.

"I'm going to go see Grace," Owen hesitated. "To inform her about the treatment options..... And see which one she picks."

Alec's hands froze as he listened to his brother's words. His eyes stayed low as the muscles in his jaw tensed. Owen watched his brother take a deep breath.

"I'll come with you," Alec said as he rose from his seat.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Owen worried.

"I really don't care what you think, Owen," Alec said under his breath. He walked out of his office without bothering to wait for his brother.

Owen followed his brother to the dungeon as he alerted the guards on the way down. Alec's mind was a fickle matter. Owen didn't want to be caught off guard if things got out of hand.

As soon as the guards were informed of their arrival, Grace was moved into the interrogation room. She sat handcuffed by silver as Alec and Owen entered the room. Her face was unreadable as her blue eyes watched the brothers take a seat like a snake.

Alec's wolf didn't growl, didn't huff, didn't whine. He was completely silent. His dark eyes stayed locked on the woman in front of him, ready to tear her head off in one bite. He didn't need to make a show of his rage. It was inevitable and ever present in his heart like the ache that kept him up at night.

"Here are some possible treatment options," Owen's voice pulled Alec out of his head.

Owen slid a piece of paper across the table to Grace. She stopped it with her finger carefully so as to not move her hand too much. The angry red burns around her wrist satisfied Alec.

The Radacovicks watched as Grace ran her eyes over the writings on the paper slowly. She nodded and then looked up.

"And they're sure these will work?" she asked.

"Not 100%, but they are worth a shot," Owen sighed.

Grace leaned back on the chair and tapped her fingers on the cold metal table, "I don't think he will make it."

Alec's green eyes slowly climbed up to Grace's. He wanted to know what it was like to look evil into the eye.

"We still have to try," Owen said baffled.

"His chances of survival are slim to none," Grace shrugged. "No matter what I pick, I don't see it making much of a difference."

Owen felt his own rage flare up. As a father of three, he could not understand how Grace could be speaking about her child in such a way.