CH.13 Meet me at Midnight

Chapter 13

Alec didn't bother doing anywork for the rest of the day. His brain hurt from everything going on in his life. Work was the last thing he could focus on.

As he sat in his office thinking about everything, his wolf howled with joy every time Eden popped into his mind. A few times, Alec found himself smiling as he thought about the girl.

His mate.

Eden Heywood.

He had a mate. And she was nothing like he's ever known before. She was slowly starting to occupy every single corner of his brain. Suddenly, it seemed as if everything he did from that day forward would forever be about her.

But just as those thoughts would lift up his spirit, a dark cloud would start to rain over his parade.

Grace......

Finding out about Eden would destroy her. They had both known it was a possibility that maybe one day Alec would find his mate when Gemma's potion worked. But after almost three years of it not working, the possibility of it seemed like a childish fantasy. They had both invested so much into the relationship. They had a child on the way....

Alec groaned as he felt his brain start to throb. He couldn't find any kind of an end to this problem his life had grown into. He wished he could go back in time and redo everything.

There were so many things he would redo. For one, he wouldn't join the king's guards. Two, he wouldn't break Avni's heart. And three...... he would wait an eternity for Eden.

Just then, there was a hard knock on the door. Alec picked up his head and found Grace walking in.

"What happened?" She asked with a frown. "It's almost 5."

"Shit," Alec jumped up from his chair. "The appointment."

Grace sighed and walked out of the office, leaving Alec to follow behind her.

"It's only the first appointment, Alec," She said over her shoulder. "I can't believe you forgot."

"I didn't forget," Alec said with irritation. "I lost track of time."

"This baby should be your first priority."

"Trust me," Alec rolled his eyes. "It's my only priority right now."

"It doesn't seem like that," Grace said. "Really, Alec....is something on your mind? You don't seem excited about this baby. I do-"

"Grace," Alec said sternly, making her pause. He walked up to her and looked into her clear blue eyes, making sure she saw how much he meant the words he was about to say. "Don't for a second think I am taking this child lightly. You know how much I wanted this. You have no idea the things I'm willing to give up for my child."

Grace pushed her shoulder back as she took a long deep breath. Alec watched as she reached out and picked his hair.

"I know how much this means to you," she said quietly. "I just don't want you to get distracted."

"That's not going to happen," Alec said as he stopped her hand from playing with his hair. Her warm fingers bothered him as he held her hand tightly and began to walk towards the medical wing. Alec found himself wishing her hands were cold......ice cold.

For the rest of the afternoon, Grace did all the talking. She mostly talked about the baby, showing Alec various pictures of nurseries and baby outfits. Alec smiled through all of them as he agreed with all of her plans.