CH.10 Family Secrets

Chapter 10

Alec's wolf patrolled the borders of his mind with anxiety and stress as he stood outside Eden's hospital room. Gemma and the rest of the family were in the waiting room as Rose and Jackson stayed inside with the doctor.

Unconsciously, Alce bounced his knee restlessness as he rubbed his jaw. His hair was a mess from how many times he had run his hands through it already. Grace eyed his bouncing knee before he put a stop to it by placing his hand over it.

"Are you okay?" She leaned over and whispered.

Alec nodded as he stared at the glass door of the hospital room. Ever since Avni lost the baby and the traumatic hospital experience of her sobs and screams, Alec hated hospitals. He hated everything about them, the smell, the bright lights, the beeping of the machines.....How can Rye stand to be in here day after day?

"Alec, Grace," Owen called out from where he sat next to Mavi. "You two should head to your room. We're here."

Gratefully, Grace straightened up as she grabbed her purse off the chair beside her. She was about to rise to her feet when Alec's voice suddenly stopped her.

"We're good," he said. "We'll wait until the doctor comes out."

Grace bit back the eye roll she felt on it's way and sighed.

"I have work in the morning. Excuse me, but I should really head back to the room," She said politely to Owen.

As she stood, Alec tried to reach for her hand, "Grace..."

"You can stay, Alec." She said looking down at him with a blank expression.

Alec didn't know what to say as he watched her gather her stuff and walk away. He knew she would give him an ear full about it later. It wouldn't be a pointless lecture either. Grace had a way of pointing out the logic and logistics of things that made you start to question the reasons behind why you even thought about doing anything in the first place. As Alec watched her disappear down the hall, he felt Mavi and Owen looking at him.

"I think you're in the dog house," Owen whistled.

"Yeah, I would go if I were you Alec," Mavi sighed.

With one last look at the hospital door, Alec got off the chair he had been sitting on. His wolf protested as he began to move towards the exit.

"Let me know how things go," he said to his brother before he pushed his wolf to the back of his mind and shuffled out.

Grace had only made it into the palace when Alec caught up with her. She heard his footsteps behind him as a smirk crossed her lips. She didn't slow down as he hurried to catch up with her.

"Have you had enough babysitting for one day?" She asked.

"What?" Alec asked, confused.

"Jackson and Rose will need your services when they go home and leave their little daughter here."

"Grace..."

"I didn't know you were so fond of babysitting, Alec."

"Stop it." Alec's mood darkened as she stomped ahead.

"You stop it, Alec." Grace suddenly whirled around to face him. "I can't believe you made us spend an entire evening with that weirdo. I was really looking forward to just some us time. When do we ever get that?"

Alec's eyes narrowed at her words. "First of all, don't call Eden a weirdo. She's obviously going through something. And second of all, you never have time. It's always about work, work, and work with you."