CH.15 Sleeping Beauty

Chapter 15

Eden's ankle healed within a few hours. Alec watched from his office window as she partook in her daily ritual of walking the gardens with Jackson. It made him feel relaxed and joyful to see the smile on her face and hear her laugh. He wished once again he could go out and sit beside her and hold her hand.

That evening, Grace wanted to go out for dinner. She started to crave Indian food and Alec had agreed on a date night instead of ordering in.

"The naan bread was not warm last time," Grace told the waiter as he scribbled down their order.

Alec kept his eyes on the menu as he rolled his eyes. Sometimes she could be so bossy. He had once admired the go getter quality about her, but lately it was becoming a headache.

"And please make sure the curry is not too spicy," Grace scanned the menu. "Ready to order?"

Alec nodded as he handed the wauter the thick menu, "I'll just have the curry of the day with some jasmin rice, thank you."

"How was work?" Grace asked as she sipped her mango drink.

"It was okay, got a lot done without all the distractions at work."

"You should really consider moving your office out of the palace,"

"That makes no sense," Alec shook his head. "I need to see Mavi like fifty times a day."

"She can give you one of these gold pixi rings," Grace shrugged.

"They're for the royal family and for emergencies only," Alec reminded her.

"I don't see the point in them being locked up in the vault all the time."

"Not my headache."

"Did you have a chance to look at the listing I emailed you?"

"Yeah," Alec nodded as he spun the salt shaker on the table. The restaurant was lit up like a Christmas tree with billions of lights. They all mixed together to drown the space in an odd purple light. Suddenly, Alec wondered if maybe Eden would like being in here.

"What did you think?" Grace laughed. "I want to make an offer as soon as possible."

"It's a little far from the palace, don't you think?"

"There are no good houses for sale around there."

"Why do we have to move out?" Alec asked. "I'm sure Mavi and Owen can give us an entire floor at the palace if we ask. And it's so convenient for us. Our work is in the same building, we won't be too far from the baby."

"It's every girl's dream to have her own house, Alec." Grace frowned. "I've been thinking about it since I was like three."

Alec wanted to roll his eyes. She was not thinking that at three.

"You don't seem that invested in these plans," Grace narrowed her eyes as she folded her arms over her chest.

"Oh here we go again," Alec sighed as he leaned back in his chair. He felt like he was living the same day over and over.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Grace," Alec moved forward and rested a hand on the table for her to take. "What happened to us? Why are you suddenly always questioning everything I am doing?"

"Because," The girl kept her face calm and her eyes empty. "You have been acting strange ever since you came back from New Orleans."

Alec felt the guilt rise in him like a tsunami. She had every right to be upset with him. He had been acting strange. And it wasn't her fault she didn't know he was planning on breaking off the engagement once the baby was born. Alec felt like the world's biggest asshole. He was hurting too many people. He knew his actions were wrong, sick, and twisted.