CH.19 Stolen kisses

Chapter 19

With just a week left before Eden started classes at the Armory, there was much to be done. After her evening with Alec in his office, she hardly had the second to herself to see him again. Rose and Gemma kept her busy with preparation for school. Wherever Eden did find time, Alec would be busy.

To let him know that he was constantly on her mind, Eden sent a butterfly to Alec's office every morning. They always came back and landed on her nose to deliver his touch. Staying away from him wasn't too difficult of a task anymore. Their stolen glances at each other in the halls, the secret brushes of their fingers as they passed one another, and of course Alec giving sunflowers to Clare to deliver to Eden.

What they had didn't have to make sense. It was enough....for now. And it was good.

The Friday before school started, Eden and Clare laid in the sun as they talked about flowers and fairies. The warm sunlight kissed their shoulders as a cool freeze from the woods played with their hair.

Suddenly, Clare sat up straight and gasped.

"What is it?" Eden asked, alarmed.

"Makey," Clare rushed to her feet. "Makey is hurt."

Eden's heart started to pound in her chest as she saw the tears in Clare's eyes.

"Where is he?" She asked as he got up and gathered the blanket.

"I think he went to the stable," Clare's bottom lip trembled.

"Don't cry baby," Eden grabbed her hand. "Let's go find mom or your dad."

"Mom and dad are not home," Clare started to sob.

Eden looked around not knowing what to do. She dropped the blanket and picked Clare up.

"Shhhh," Eden patted the little girl's hair. "Don't cry. It's okay. We got this."

"Mackey," Clare sniffled. "He's scared."

Eden felt her throat close up as she thought about the little boy. Her brain froze as she wandered what she should do. She didn't know where the stable was and she doubt Clare could guide her.

The only thing that made any kind of sense to her at the moment was Alec. With a deep breath, Eden rushed toward his office. Clare hung from her neck as she hurried down the many halls and swung open the wooden door.

Alec turned around as he spoke on the phone. Jamie, the blond queen's guard, raised a brow as Eden and Clare walked into the room in a panic.

"Let me call you back, Mr. Miller," Alec couldn't put down the phone fast enough. His heart started to mirror the beat at which Eden's heart raced.

"What's wrong?" He asked as his eyes moved from Eden's pale face to the crying child in her arms.

"Clare thinks Mackey is hurt," Eden tried to hold herself together. She didn't want to scare Clare.

"What?" Alec stepped forward with concern. "Where is he? Where's Owen and Mavi?"

"They're out for the summit today," Jamie got up from his chair.

"Clare, baby?" Alec took his niece from Eden. "Where is Mackey?"

"He's in the stable," Clare frowned.

Alec took a deep breath as he tried to keep calm. Eden saw the anger flash across his green eyes like headlights flashing on.

Clare felt it too. She screamed in fear as she reached for Eden.