CH.25 Through the looking glass

Chapter 25

Over the next several weeks, Alec and Eden learned the norms of their new relationships. It was touch and go for a few. Out of their affection for each other they often acted without thinking and had to pull back and reevaluate their actions.

For example, Alec greeting Eden in the morning with a smile was a yes for their relationship. Eden bringing Alec coffee during his office hours at the Armory was also another yes. The two sitting in his office and talking about life as definitely a yes.

Alec tucking Eden's hair behind her ear was a no. Eden brushing away the cookie crumbs from the corner of Alec's mouth was another no. Getting lost in each other's eyes and leaning forward was definitely a no.

It was like learning to walk all over again. But they caught on quickly. Alec and Eden realized physical contact hurt too much but seeing each other daily and talking wasn't so bad.

"Do you have fieldwork with Jamie today?" Alec asked one afternoon as Eden helped him grade some of the classwork.

"Yep," Eden said.

The day the class had picked their queen's guard, Eden thought she could pull a fast one and trick Alec. A hat was passed around the classroom with names of Queen's guards. Whoever you pulled out would be the guard you worked with all semester. Eden learned to manipulate writing and switched Jamie's name with Alec's when she pulled out her card.

"Alec Radacovick," she had said proudly, making all the girls in the class gasp or moan.

Alec looked surprised for a minute before he told her to pass the hate along to the next student. Eden felt sneaky and giddy the whole day for pulling off the spell and securing her spot.

But when Alec called her into his office she knew she had been caught.

"You used a spell to switch the names, didn't you?" Alec asked as he smirked.

"How did you know?" Eden frowned.

"I'm the head Queen's guard," Alec said. He leaned forward and whispered, "My name was never in the hat."

"Fuck," Eden began to laugh.

Alec shook his head laughing as he undid Eden's little mess. He got her to confess the real name she had pulled out and made her start fieldwork right away.

Working with Jamie wasn't such a bad thing since he spent most of his day with Alec anyways. On days when he had to attend official business that he couldn't take Eden to, she got to work with Alec instead.

"Is Asher driving you today?" Alec asked from where he sat grading another pile of paper.

"No," Eden shook her head. "I asked my dad to pick me up."

"Why?" Alec checked his grading book. "Asher is going to the palace anyways, might as well go with him."

"Eh," Eden shrugged.

"Eden," Alec said her name as he looked over his book once more. "Where are your last two assignments?"

"I didn't do them," Eden said as she looked at him over the paper in her hand.

"And why not?"

"You know I did the reading," Eden frowned. "I read it in front of you in my room. Why do I have to write up the reflection?"

"How am I supposed to grade you?" Alec laughed.

"Just give me a hundred," Eden smiled.

"That's cheating," Alec pointed out.