CH.37 Take me home

Chapter 37

Mate.

Eden shifted her weight from feet to feet as she waited for Alec to say something. Under the dim light of the parking lot she watched him with a worried and happy heart. Her brown eyes took in his features like a starving man at a banquet. To Eden, it had only been a week. But to Alec, four long agonizing months had passed since he had last heard that soft hum of her beating heart.

It was as if Adam was meeting Eve for the first time. Time stood still. The night didn't dare make a sound. Even the wind held its breath in anticipation of such a meeting.

Eden took a step forward. She didn't know whether she should laugh with joy or cry. Alec's face paled and his eyes grew wide with shock. A dark and twisted idea jumped through her mind.

Am I too late.....

The birth of such an idea made Eden freeze. She pulled back the hand that had begun to rise and bit down on her bottom lip. A defiant breeze blew through the leaves as if it was impatient for the two lovers to embrace. Eden felt a shiver rush up her arms and spine.

In that instant, Alec broke free of his spell. He watched the goosebumps rise up on Eden's bare shoulders and heard her sharp intake of breath. Immediately, Alec took off the jacket he had been wearing and walked up to Eden. She watched him through her lashes as he draped the jacket over her shoulders.

"Thank you," Eden whispered.

"It's getting cold," Alec found his voice.

"Take me home, please," Eden pulled the warm jacket closer to her body and let his pine and mint scent devour her.

Alec nodded as he opened the car door for her. He waited until Eden climbed in to walk around and buckle himself in. No one said a word as they drove. Eden felt a wave of peace and sorrow ripple out of her mate and crash against the harbor of her heart. She didn't know what to say, just as he didn't know what to do. They drove in silence through the enchanting night as Eden stole glances in his direction.

When they finally arrived at the townhouse, Alec watched Eden carefully as he held the car door open for her. Her large brown eyes took in the structure of the house as they quietly climbed the stairs.

"You moved out of the palace?" Eden asked as she cleared her throat.

"Yes," Alec pulled his keys out of his pocket. "About two months ago."

Eden's eyes dropped to the familiar keychains in his hand, "Those are mine."

"I took some of your keys," Alec looked down at the baseball size bundle in his hands.

"Have you been forgetting your keys?" Eden asked.

"If my brain wasn't in my head, I'm afraid I would be forgetting that too,"

Eden suddenly laughed at his honestly. Alec felt his heart do strange things as he dropped the keys, startled by the sound he had been imagining over and over in his head for days. He reached down into the darkness just as Eden did. Their hands brushed over the keys.

A spectacular fireworks show paraded over their skin as the vibrant electricity ran through them. Alec looked up and found Eden's eyes dilated as she parted her lips.

A car passing by in the street honked at a bicyclist, unknowingly breaking the spell brewing between the two lovers. Alec and Eden straightened up as he cleared his throat and unlocked the door. Eden followed him inside the empty house.

Other than some necessary furniture for functionality, the house was bare. No pictures on the walls, no personal touch to let visitors know who slept here every night. Eden slowly looked around as Alec held his breath waiting for her. When she turned back to him and opened her mouth to let him know she liked it, a female's voice spoke up from the stairwell that led upstairs.