CH.22 Hold your peace

Chapter 22

Eden spent the remaining of her morning with Asher in the library. He convinced her she didn't need to go to her afternoon classes since they would only be talking about the syllabus and not any actual materials.

Eden was so lost in her thought, she didn't put up much of a fight. Her mind was too busy thinking about Alec.

Was Jackson right? Was this how Alec was going to behave with her in public? Maybe he was upset with her father for making her move out of the palace, but that didn't give him any right to embarrass her in front of those girls like that.

"Don't think so hard," Asher tugged at one of Eden's blonde strands playfully. "You'll get wrinkles."

Eden rolled her eyes, "Oh no, what a shame that would be."

"Care to share what you were thinking about?"

"Not really," Eden looked down at the grass they sat on. It was a beautiful September day. The last few seconds of summer before fall colored the air.

"You were always so in your head," Asher commented.

"You noticed?" Eden raised a brow.

"Of course I did," Asher said. He looked ahead at the lawn full of students warming up under the sun. Some of the werewolves played football while a group of witches practiced their spells nearby. Under the shade of a large oak tree three vampire students sat with parasols and oversized sunglasses sipping their smoothie in their large mugs. At least Eden hoped it was smoothie.

"You used to always zone out in class," Asher continued. "And in the halls you always ran into people's open locker doors."

"You noticed that?" Eden asked, slightly embarrassed.

Asher nodded chuckling, "I always wondered what you were thinking."

"Honestly," Eden took a deep breath. "About giraffes."

"What?"

"Humans think werewolves, unicorns, fairies, and witches are all fictional.....yet they accept the giraffe as an ordinary part of nature. How...."

"To them seeing is believing I guess," Asher picked up the half eaten apple and twirled it in his hand. "So all that time you were thinking about giraffes?"

"No," Eden laughed. "Not the whole time. I thought about other things too."

"Did you ever think about me?"

"Why do you ask?" Eden turned to him and smiled.

Asher shrugged, "I don't know....I always thought about you in high school. I'm just curious."

"Was this before we dated or after?"

"A little bit of both,"

Eden leaned forward and looked into Asher's eyes, "Are you obsessed with me?"

"You wish," Asher laughed.

"Am I going to walk into your room and find your walls filled with my photos and my missing hairbands?" Eden teased.

"Not my room, but my heart," Asher placed a hand over his heart and gave Eden a wink.

Just then, a shadow fell over the two, blocking out the warm sunlight. Eden squinted as she looked up at the figure.

"You have training with Gemma today, correct?" Alec asked as he looked down at Eden and Asher.

"Yes," Eden nodded.