CH.20 One of a kind

Chapter 20

Eden stood in the middle of the room as Jackson set her bags down on the floor. She fidgeted with the sunflower necklace around her neck as she took in her surroundings.

The room was spacious with an attached bathroom, walk-in closet and a private balcony. Rose had said the room was set up for Eden but she didn't see anything that resembled her.

"I know you are upset with me," Jackson said as he watched his daughter from the doorway. "But you are my only daughter. I want to see you happy."

"I was happy with him," Eden said.

"That wasn't happiness," Jackson shook his head. "Hiding and kissing in the shadows isn't happiness."

When Eden didn't answer, Jackson took a deep breath and moved into the room, "You deserve to be celebrated. What kind of future did you have with him? Would he ever hold your hand in public?"

"It's complicated," Eden frowned.

"You're too young," Jackson said. "Young love shouldn't be complicated. Real love shouldn't be complicated."

There was no point in arguing with him any more. Eden walked over to the balcony and threw the french doors open. She stepped out into the bright sunlight and looked over the lawn. After a few minutes, when she heard her door close, she moved back into the room and curled up on the bed.

Eden's heart hurt from how much she missed Alec. She tried to make herself understand it was only temporary. But the heart is a stubborn creature. It did what it wanted to and there was no getting in it's way.

For the rest of the afternoon, Eden stayed in her new room. She tried to make herself busy by unpacking and going over the Armory student handbook. It was a struggle to find the motivation to do anything right.

Just before dinner, Eden was sitting in the middle of the floor trying to untangle one of her necklaces when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Eden said without looking up.

"Eden," Rose's soft voice called to her as she walked into the room. "I wanted to let you know that the Argos are joining us for dinner tonight."

"What?" Eden dropped the necklace she was holding. "Why?"

The Argo family was an affluent part of the witch community. They were distantly related to Gemma and held a great deal of sway in how things ran within the witch circle. It was because of them Gemma was able to focus so much on her research and not worry about ruling. Marcus Argo was Gemma's right hand man and he carried out Gemma's rules and regulations like they were divine orders. His son, Asher Argo, had been in high school with Eden before the family moved to Romania after his senior senior year.

Eden wasn't too thrilled about seeing them again. Once upon a time, she thought she was in love with Asher. However, after giving up her virginity to him junior year, she quickly realized she was more in love with the idea of being in love and not with him.

After their break up, they hadn't kept in touch. They saw each other in passing in the halls but their brief relationship was like a forgotten dream. Asher, the high school quarterback, was happy with his parade of girls following him around and Eden didn't mind shying away from the spotlight.

"Your dad invited them," Rose said. "Asher attends classes at the Armory. He thought it would be good for you to have a familiar face around."

"Ugh," Eden groaned. "He just wants me to marry Asher Argo and make super witches."